Donghui (Don) Zhu, Ph.D.
SUNY Empire Innovation Associate Professor
Dr. Zhu is the Director of The Engineering-Meets-Medicine Laboratory (EMML) at SBU. The lab is interested in interdisciplinary and translational research that leverages the engineering advances in biomaterials, nanotechnology, medical implants, and neuroscience for innovative and better clinical solutions to emerging problems in regenerative medicine, cardiovascular disease, orthopedics, aging and dementia. State-of-art facilities are available across the campus with a very collaborative environment at SBU.
Areas of Interest
- Smart-biomaterials and Nano-biomaterials
- Biodegradable or bioresorbable materials
- Regenerative medicine for cardiovascular and orthopedic applications
- Innovative drug delivery device and platform
- Aging and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s
- Ph.D. - Bioengineering, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO.
- M.S. - Biomedical Engineering, Washington University, St. Louis, MO.
- B.E. - Chemical Engineering, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL.
- 2019 - current: Associate Professor, SUNY Empire Innovation Associate Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Institute for Engineering-Driven Medicine, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Renaissance School of Medicine, Stony Brook University-SUNY.
- 2016- 2019: Associate Professor, Graduate Program Director, Biomedical Engineering, University of North Texas.
- 2010- 2016: Investigator, NSF Engineering Research Center (ERC) for Revolutionizing Metallic Biomaterials. Assistant and Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering, North Carolina AT State University.
Click here for Dr. Zhu's publications via Google Scholar.
- BME 353 - Introduction to Biomaterials
- BME 354 - Advanced Biomaterials
- BME 504 - Biomaterials Science and Analysis
Lab Web Page
Dr. Zhu's Lab Page (Forthcoming)