Skip Navigation


*Important Information About Transferring Courses*

Summer and Winter Study Elsewhere

To ensure that courses will be fully acceptable for transfer credit, students planning to take summer or winter courses elsewhere should discuss their plans in advance with both the appropriate departmental academic advisor and the Academic and Transfer Advising Services Office. If the student plans to transfer courses that are not on our viewable chart, the student should secure prior approval for courses toward major requirements from the major department, and for courses toward general education requirements and elective credit from the Academic and Transfer Advising Services Office. After the University receives an official transcript indicating that the student has completed the courses with grades of C or higher, appropriate transfer credit will be noted on the student’s academic record.

International Transfer Credit Policy for Summer & Winter for Currently Enrolled SBU Students

To obtain Stony Brook credit for summer or winter courses offered by an institution outside of the United States, currently enrolled Stony Brook students are required to participate in an approved partner university program offered through International Academic Programs (IAP) in the Office of Global Affairs.  All other international credits obtained in the summer or winter will not be eligible as transfer credit applied to your Stony Brook degree program. This also includes international credits taken from U.S. institutions outside of IAP or SUNY.

To ensure the quality of external academic programs from which we accept credit, including meeting the University standard number of contact hours per course, students will be limited to taking a maximum of 4 credits collectively from all approved institutions during the Winter Session. For Summer Sessions, students will be allowed to complete 18 credits collectively from all approved institutions but no more than 9 credits in a single Summer Session.

Continue reading on  the Undergraduate Bulletin.


Welcome Transfer Students

We want your transition to Stony Brook to be an easy one.  The Academic and Transfer Advising Services Office is where you'll find the answers to all your academic questions and concerns throughout your first year. Advisors are available to help students plan their academic programs to ensure a smooth transition to Stony Brook. 


    Prospective transfer students should visit the following webpages on the Undergraduate Admissions website for information about applying to Stony Brook:


    Transfer applicants and newly admitted students  

    Must send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to:

    Undergraduate Admissions
    Stony Brook University 
    118 Administration Building
    Stony Brook, NY 11794-1901

    First Semester Students

    Must send final official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to:

    Undergraduate Admissions
    Stony Brook University 
    118 Administration Building 
    Stony Brook, NY 11794-1901

    Note:   If you have earned an associate's degree, be sure it's posted on the transcript.

    Looking for information on the Incoming Transfers-Orientation Placement Exams ?
    Click Here

    How will my credits transfer?
    Click Here
    View Frequently Asked Questions (f.a.q.s)
    Continue Reading...
    When do I register and prepare my course schedule?
    Will all of my credits transfer to Stony Brook?
    As a new transfer student, how will my credits be evaluated?
    Do I need to provide Stony Brook with transcripts from all my previous schools?
    Are all of my classes and grades on the transcript that I requested?
    Will my g.p.a. transfer over with my credit?
    Have I met any requirements through Regents or AP exams?
    Does Stony Brook accept Credit from College-Level Examination Programs (CLEP)
    How do I get my transfer course evaluated for D.E.C. or SBC requirements?
    How do I get my transfer work evaluated for major, minor, or upper-division credit?
    What are the math expectations for new transfer students?

    Continuing students must send final transcripts from any college or university attended after matriculation at Stony Brook to:

    Academic and Transfer Advising Services
    E2360, Melville Library
    Stony Brook University
    Stony Brook, NY 11794-3353

    Send electronic transcripts to:

    To receive credit for AP courses taken in high school, you must have your AP scores sent to the university electronically. Please visit  College Board. Stony Brook's school code is 2548.

    Taking classes at other schools to satisfy SBU requirements?
    Click Here