Academic & Transfer Advising Services Internship
Are you looking to impact student success, gain leadership skills, and learn about Academic and Transfer Advising Services? Consider applying to our full year internship that earns you EXP+ and upper division credit!
About the Internship
The Academic and Transfer Advising Services Internship is an enriching college "theory-to-practice" experience that combines classroom learning and application of that learning. The internship provides outstanding juniors and seniors the opportunity to gain leadership and advising experience, improve personal and professional skills, and explore career aspirations while providing assistance to others.Continue Reading...
Interested students must complete an application via Handshake and participate in an interview and selection process. This takes place early in the spring semester prior to the first semester of internship participation. The required application materials include a resume, a cover letter and a list of two references. The application is due toward the end of February. The interview and selection process is conducted in early March with chosen candidates notified in late March.
- Experience in leadership, co-instruction of a first semester seminar, and student support;
- The opportunity to explore and develop professional skills and experience personal growth;
- The chance to form friendships with other interns;
- An opportunity to explore the possibility of a career in higher education;
- Three hours of upper division credit (ADV 488) per semester;
- Completion of the EXP+ attribute for the Stony Brook Curriculum.
We are looking for a diverse group of undergraduate students who possess the following qualities and qualifications:
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0)
- Minimum of 57 total earned credits (Junior or Senior standing)
- Ability to commit to two semesters (fall and spring)
- Ability to enroll in and attend weekly seminar class, ADV 488, on Mondays, 1:00 PM - 2:20 PM
- Interest in helping transfer students transition to Stony Brook University
- Ability to work with diverse students, staff and community members
- Flexibility, dependability, patience, maturity, strong communication skills, and a commitment to learning
ATAS Interns attend two training sessions prior to the start of the fall semester and can expect to devote approximately 10-12 hours per week to internship responsibilities during the fall and spring semesters.
- 4 hours per week: Work in ATAS at the front desk welcoming students and answering the telephone; and/or work at the office computers assisting students with their registration and scheduling of classes.
- 2 hours per week: Serve as a teaching assistant (TA) for a first semester seminar class for transfer students (ADV 101).
- 3 hours per week: Prepare assignments and attend weekly seminar class, ADV 488, Mondays, 1:00 PM - 2:20 PM.
- 20 hours per semester: Outreach with other ATAS Interns to undergraduate students by organizing events and presentations regarding academic guidelines, degree requirements, and academic support.
- 10 hours per semester: Work with professional advisors (i.e. shadow advising sessions, participate in committees, or assist with advising projects).