The Department of Geosciences at Stony Brook University has a rich tradition of integrating
experimental, analytical, and field-based research techniques for understanding the
earth and other planetary bodies. The research activities of our world-renowned faculty
are ranked among the top 15 public research universities by the National Research
News and Announcements
The University has moved to a remote teaching model for 2020 Summer Session courses.
Should you have any questions, please contact us by email. All our staff and faculty are working remotely and continue to be available during normal business hours.
- Professor Tim Glotch, along with other members of Stony Brook faculty, featured on Disney's The Big Fib
- College of Arts and Sciences spotlights two of our recent graduates, Alex Kling and Kevin Hatton.
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Kevin Hatton, awarded prestigious Fulbright Research Award to study in Sweden.
- URECA's annual Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creativity features three Geociences Undergraduate Students
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Kevin Hatton, named URECA Researcher of the Month
- Digging for Life on Mars from a Desk 140 Million Miles Away in Oxford
- Geology Field Camp in the Turkana Basin Institute scheduled for Summer 2020.
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Alexander Kling, awarded the prestigious Barry Goldwater Scholarship.
- Distinguished Professor Scott McLennan Reflects on Two Decades of Mars Research
- Stony Brook Department of Geosciences Involved in Study that Refutes Claim Regarding Oldest Evidence of Life on Earth
- Department Researchers Team with Astrobiotic Technology to Prepare for Future Lunar Exploration
- Timothy Glotch named Associate Dean for Operations and Facilities in College of Arts and Sciences
- Congratulations to Yang Gao who was awarded a Lerner-Gray Grant for Marine Research
- Congratulations to the Class of 2018!
- Congratulations to Renee Schofield who has been awarded the Jerrold L. Stein Student Life Award for Emerging Leadership by GSO
- Congratulations to Greg Henkes who is one of this year's recipients of the College of Arts and Sciences Godfrey Teaching Excellence Awards.
- Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, the department has established a Laboratory for the Analysis and Dating of Sediments.
- Stony Brook Geosciences going Far Beyond: Newest Department of Geosciences faculty member Weisen Shen's seismological research takes him to the South Pole.
- Richard Reeder named Vice President for Research and Operations Manager
- Mars Rover collects exciting evidence from Gale Crater
- Congratulations to Scott McLennan who was named Distinguished Professor