The Department of Geosciences affirms that Black lives matter.
Furthermore, we strongly support
Stony Brook's Diversity Action Plan 4 High Performance
and the Graduate School's
Statement of Anti-Racism
Information about our Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) philosophy and plans can be found here.
SBU Giving Day brings together alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends for 24 hours of online giving.
Make a difference with your gift on April 21. For more info visit givingday.stonybrook.edu .
The Department of Geosciences at Stony Brook University has a rich tradition of integrating
experimental, analytical, and field-based research techniques for understanding the
earth and other planetary bodies. The research activities of our world-renowned faculty
are ranked among the top 15 public research universities by the National Research
News and Announcements
- Geoscience Undergraduate Students, Deanna Downs and Brooke Peritore, named URECA Researchers of the Month
- Professors Scott McLennan and Joel Hurowitz speak with NBC news about their work with Mars Perseverance Rover.
- Mars 2020 Perseverance has landed! It will now begin to seek signs of ancient life on Mars and collect samples of rock and regolith for possible return to Earth.
- Professor Gregory Henkes named a Finalist for the 2021 Stony Brook Foundation Discovery Prize
- Geoscience Professors and the Turkana Basin Institute awarded $2.7 million collaborative grant to study tectonics and climate in northern Kenya
- Congratulations to Weisen Shen who was chosen as the recipient of AGU's Keiiti Aki Young Scientist Award.
- Graduate Student Lajhon Campbell Discusses Recent Earthquakes in Jamaica
- Lift Off! Mars 2020 Perseverance has launched and two of our professors are part of the team.
- Professor Tim Glotch, along with other members of Stony Brook faculty, featured on Disney's The Big Fib
- Congratulations to the Class of 2020! The Geosciences Department celebrated its 2020 graduates with our first online convocation.
- College of Arts and Sciences spotlights two of our recent graduates, Alex Kling and Kevin Hatton.
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Kevin Hatton, awarded prestigious Fulbright Research Award to study in Sweden.
- URECA's annual Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creativity features three Geociences Undergraduate Students
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Kevin Hatton, named URECA Researcher of the Month
- Digging for Life on Mars from a Desk 140 Million Miles Away in Oxford
- Geology Field Camp in the Turkana Basin Institute scheduled for Summer 2020.
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Alexander Kling, awarded the prestigious Barry Goldwater Scholarship.
- Distinguished Professor Scott McLennan Reflects on Two Decades of Mars Research
- Stony Brook Department of Geosciences Involved in Study that Refutes Claim Regarding Oldest Evidence of Life on Earth
- Department Researchers Team with Astrobiotic Technology to Prepare for Future Lunar Exploration
- Timothy Glotch named Associate Dean for Operations and Facilities in College of Arts and Sciences
- Congratulations to Yang Gao who was awarded a Lerner-Gray Grant for Marine Research
- Congratulations to the Class of 2018!
- Congratulations to Renee Schofield who has been awarded the Jerrold L. Stein Student Life Award for Emerging Leadership by GSO
- Congratulations to Greg Henkes who is one of this year's recipients of the College of Arts and Sciences Godfrey Teaching Excellence Awards.
- Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, the department has established a Laboratory for the Analysis and Dating of Sediments.
- Stony Brook Geosciences going Far Beyond: Newest Department of Geosciences faculty member Weisen Shen's seismological research takes him to the South Pole.
- Richard Reeder named Vice President for Research and Operations Manager
- Mars Rover collects exciting evidence from Gale Crater
- Congratulations to Scott McLennan who was named Distinguished Professor