The Department of Geosciences affirms that Black lives matter.
Furthermore, we strongly support Stony Brook's Diversity Action Plan 4 High Performance.
Information about our Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) philosophy and plans can be found here.
The Department of Geosciences at Stony Brook University has a rich tradition of integrating
experimental, analytical, and field-based research techniques for understanding the
earth and other planetary bodies. The research activities of our world-renowned faculty
are ranked among the top 15 public research universities by the National Research
News and Announcements
- Department ranked in the top 200 for Geology and Geophysics by QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022!
- Congratulations to the Class of 2022!
- Professor Marine Frouin is helping a team of scientists rewrite the timeline of modern humans in Europe
- Professors William Holt and Troy Rasbury mentor Regeneron Science Competition Finalist
- Professor Marine Frouin's new Luminescence Dating Research Laboratory shines light on the past
- Congratulations to Professor Tim Glotch who was chosen as the recipient of the NASA SSERVI Angioletta Coradini Mid-Career Award
- Professor Weisen Shen and the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (SoMAS) are collaborating with BioBus to improve diverse student participation in the geoscience fields.
- Professors Scott McLennan and Joel Hurowitz talk about their experience with the Mars exploration rover Perseverance.
- Congratulations to the Class of 2021!
- Geoscience Undergraduate Students, Deanna Downs and Brooke Peritore, named URECA Researchers of the Month
- Professors Scott McLennan and Joel Hurowitz speak with NBC news about their work with Mars Perseverance Rover.
- Mars 2020 Perseverance has landed! It will now begin to seek signs of ancient life on Mars and collect samples of rock and regolith for possible return to Earth.
- Professor Gregory Henkes named a Finalist for the 2021 Stony Brook Foundation Discovery Prize
- Geoscience Professors and the Turkana Basin Institute awarded $2.7 million collaborative grant to study tectonics and climate in northern Kenya
- Congratulations to Weisen Shen who was chosen as the recipient of AGU's Keiiti Aki Young Scientist Award.
- Graduate Student Lajhon Campbell Discusses Recent Earthquakes in Jamaica
- Lift Off! Mars 2020 Perseverance has launched and two of our professors are part of the team.
- Professor Tim Glotch, along with other members of Stony Brook faculty, featured on Disney's The Big Fib
- Congratulations to the Class of 2020! The Geosciences Department celebrated its 2020 graduates with our first online convocation.
- College of Arts and Sciences spotlights two of our recent graduates, Alex Kling and Kevin Hatton.
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Kevin Hatton, awarded prestigious Fulbright Research Award to study in Sweden.
- URECA's annual Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creativity features three Geociences Undergraduate Students
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Kevin Hatton, named URECA Researcher of the Month
- Digging for Life on Mars from a Desk 140 Million Miles Away in Oxford
- Geology Field Camp in the Turkana Basin Institute scheduled for Summer 2020.
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Alexander Kling, awarded the prestigious Barry Goldwater Scholarship.
- Distinguished Professor Scott McLennan Reflects on Two Decades of Mars Research
- Stony Brook Department of Geosciences Involved in Study that Refutes Claim Regarding Oldest Evidence of Life on Earth
- Department Researchers Team with Astrobiotic Technology to Prepare for Future Lunar Exploration
- Timothy Glotch named Associate Dean for Operations and Facilities in College of Arts and Sciences
- Congratulations to Yang Gao who was awarded a Lerner-Gray Grant for Marine Research
- Congratulations to the Class of 2018!
- Congratulations to Renee Schofield who has been awarded the Jerrold L. Stein Student Life Award for Emerging Leadership by GSO
- Congratulations to Greg Henkes who is one of this year's recipients of the College of Arts and Sciences Godfrey Teaching Excellence Awards.
- Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, the department has established a Laboratory for the Analysis and Dating of Sediments.
- Stony Brook Geosciences going Far Beyond: Newest Department of Geosciences faculty member Weisen Shen's seismological research takes him to the South Pole.
- Richard Reeder named Vice President for Research and Operations Manager
- Mars Rover collects exciting evidence from Gale Crater
- Congratulations to Scott McLennan who was named Distinguished Professor