The Department of Geosciences affirms that Black lives matter.
Information about our Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) philosophy and plans can
be found here.
In Memoriam: Gilbert N. Hanson (1936-2023)
The Department mourns the passing of Gilbert (Gil) Hanson, one of the founding members of Earth and Space Sciences (now Geosciences) at Stony Brook University. Gil passed away on September 21, 2023. When we celebrated the 50 th anniversary of our department in 2015, Gil had been here for all but one of those years. He served as the graduate advisor for 6 years (1970-1975; and 1982-1983) and the chair of our department for 10 years (1983-1993). He will be greatly missed by all. Hanson Tribute
The Department of Geosciences at Stony Brook University has a rich tradition of integrating
experimental, analytical, and field-based research techniques for understanding the
earth and other planetary bodies. The research activities of our world-renowned faculty
are ranked among the top 15 public research universities by the National Research
News and Announcements
- Professor William Holt mentors one of the 2024 top 300 Regeneron Science Talent Search Scholars
- Geoscience Undergraduate Student, Victoria Castle, named URECA Researcher of the Month
- NASA Early Career Scientist Spotlight featuring David Burtt '22 PhD
- Congratulations to Nandita Kumari who has been awarded an Amelia Earhart Fellowship.
- 2023 URECA Celebration of Undergraduate Research Mentored by Geoscience Faculty and Postdoc.
- Professor Weisen Shen is awarded NSF CAREER Award to investigate the subsurface structure near the South Pole.
- Professor Tim Glotch's research finding opens door to new geology research.
- Congratulations to the Class of 2023!
- URECA's annual Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creativity features Four Students Mentored by Geoscience Faculty and Postdoc.
- Professor Lars Ehm mentors one of the winners of Long Island Science and Engineering Fair competition
- 2022 SBU Postdoc Spotlight features three Postdocs from the Department of Geosciences.
- Graduate Student, Nandita Kumari, Contributes Research to NASA Artemis Mission.
- Professor William Holt leading collaborative research project that may alter how scientists uncover Earth's history as an evolving planet.
- "Moon Tree" Planted on Arbor Day
- Department ranked in the top 200 for Geology and Geophysics by QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022!
- Congratulations to the Class of 2022!
- Professor Marine Frouin is helping a team of scientists rewrite the timeline of modern humans in Europe
- Professors William Holt and Troy Rasbury mentor Regeneron Science Competition Finalist
- Professor Marine Frouin's new Luminescence Dating Research Laboratory shines light on the past
- Congratulations to Professor Tim Glotch who was chosen as the recipient of the NASA SSERVI Angioletta Coradini Mid-Career Award
- Professor Weisen Shen and the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (SoMAS) are collaborating with BioBus to improve diverse student participation in the geoscience fields.
- Professors Scott McLennan and Joel Hurowitz talk about their experience with the Mars exploration rover Perseverance.
- Congratulations to the Class of 2021!
- Geoscience Undergraduate Students, Deanna Downs and Brooke Peritore, named URECA Researchers of the Month
- Professors Scott McLennan and Joel Hurowitz speak with NBC news about their work with Mars Perseverance Rover.
- Mars 2020 Perseverance has landed! It will now begin to seek signs of ancient life on Mars and collect samples of rock and regolith for possible return to Earth.
- Professor Gregory Henkes named a Finalist for the 2021 Stony Brook Foundation Discovery Prize
- Geoscience Professors and the Turkana Basin Institute awarded $2.7 million collaborative grant to study tectonics and climate in northern Kenya
- Congratulations to Weisen Shen who was chosen as the recipient of AGU's Keiiti Aki Young Scientist Award.
- Graduate Student Lajhon Campbell Discusses Recent Earthquakes in Jamaica
- Lift Off! Mars 2020 Perseverance has launched and two of our professors are part of the team.
- Professor Tim Glotch, along with other members of Stony Brook faculty, featured on Disney's The Big Fib
- Congratulations to the Class of 2020! The Geosciences Department celebrated its 2020 graduates with our first online convocation.
- College of Arts and Sciences spotlights two of our recent graduates, Alex Kling and Kevin Hatton.
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Kevin Hatton, awarded prestigious Fulbright Research Award to study in Sweden.
- URECA's annual Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creativity features three Geociences Undergraduate Students
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Kevin Hatton, named URECA Researcher of the Month
- Digging for Life on Mars from a Desk 140 Million Miles Away in Oxford
- Geology Field Camp in the Turkana Basin Institute scheduled for Summer 2020.
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Alexander Kling, awarded the prestigious Barry Goldwater Scholarship.
- Distinguished Professor Scott McLennan Reflects on Two Decades of Mars Research
- Stony Brook Department of Geosciences Involved in Study that Refutes Claim Regarding Oldest Evidence of Life on Earth
- Department Researchers Team with Astrobiotic Technology to Prepare for Future Lunar Exploration
- Timothy Glotch named Associate Dean for Operations and Facilities in College of Arts and Sciences
- Congratulations to Yang Gao who was awarded a Lerner-Gray Grant for Marine Research
- Congratulations to the Class of 2018!
- Congratulations to Renee Schofield who has been awarded the Jerrold L. Stein Student Life Award for Emerging Leadership by GSO
- Congratulations to Greg Henkes who is one of this year's recipients of the College of Arts and Sciences Godfrey Teaching Excellence Awards.
- Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, the department has established a Laboratory for the Analysis and Dating of Sediments.
- Stony Brook Geosciences going Far Beyond: Newest Department of Geosciences faculty member Weisen Shen's seismological research takes him to the South Pole.
- Richard Reeder named Vice President for Research and Operations Manager
- Mars Rover collects exciting evidence from Gale Crater
- Congratulations to Scott McLennan who was named Distinguished Professor