The Department of Geosciences at Stony Brook University has a rich tradition of integrating
experimental, analytical, and field-based research techniques for understanding the
earth and other planetary bodies. The research activities of our world-renowned faculty
are ranked among the top 15 public research universities by the National Research
News and Announcements
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Kevin Hatton, named URECA Researcher of the Month
- Digging for Life on Mars from a Desk 140 Million Miles Away in Oxford
- Geology Field Camp in the Turkana Basin Institute scheduled for Summer 2020.
- Geosciences Undergraduate Student, Alexander Kling, awarded the prestigious Barry Goldwater Scholarship.
- Distinguished Professor Scott McLennan Reflects on Two Decades of Mars Research
- Stony Brook Department of Geosciences Involved in Study that Refutes Claim Regarding Oldest Evidence of Life on Earth
- Department Researchers Team with Astrobiotic Technology to Prepare for Future Lunar Exploration
- Timothy Glotch named Associate Dean for Operations and Facilities in College of Arts and Sciences
- Congratulations to Yang Gao who was awarded a Lerner-Gray Grant for Marine Research
- Congratulations to the Class of 2018!
- Congratulations to Renee Schofield who has been awarded the Jerrold L. Stein Student Life Award for Emerging Leadership by GSO
- Congratulations to Greg Henkes who is one of this year's recipients of the College of Arts and Sciences Godfrey Teaching Excellence Awards.
- Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, the department has established a Laboratory for the Analysis and Dating of Sediments.
- Stony Brook Geosciences going Far Beyond: Newest Department of Geosciences faculty member Weisen Shen's seismological research takes him to the South Pole.
- Richard Reeder named Vice President for Research and Operations Manager
- Mars Rover collects exciting evidence from Gale Crater
- Congratulations to Scott McLennan who was named Distinguished Professor