The transportation fee supports the operation and maintenance of the campus buses as well as the maintenance of the bus shelters and commuter parking lots. We recognize that students who are studying remotely may not be able to use the services this fee provides. However these are not funded as a fee-for-service; rather all students contribute to funding these programs and have access to them as needed. The University depends on these fees to operate and maintain the programs and services and ensure that they will be available for future semesters when all students have returned to campus.
We appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you back on campus soon.
Transportation Service Update
Beginning, August 24th, Transportation will resume Service Level A Monday through
Normal Saturday Service Level C
Modified Sunday Service Level C with last run departing at 9:30 PM
ADA service is by appointment - 631-632-6418
Welcome to the Office of Transportation and Parking Operations website. We are proud to serve the diverse and vibrant Stony Brook community. The Office of Transportation and Parking Operations provides essential transportation and parking solutions for Stony Brook University on the following campuses: Main Campus (East, West, and South), Stony Brook Southampton, and the Research and Development Park.
The mission of the Office of Transportation and Parking Operations is to:
- Provide a safe, efficient and reliable transportation system for the Stony Brook University community.
- Provide a safe and well maintained parking areas, while meeting the needs of the Stony Brook University community.
- Procure and maintain the Stony Brook University vehicle fleet.
- Provide support, vision and direction for operating the University transportation fleet using environmentally sound practices.
SBU Transit TrACKING system
The SBU Transit Tracking System implementation has been completed successfully. Stony Brook University's partnership with DoubleMap has met our expectations and user feedback has been extremely positive. We will continue to look for ways to improve the experience and provide features that enhance the application.
The Office of Transportation and Parking Operations offers the following services to the Stony Brook University community:
Automotive Repair Services
- Vehicle Procurement: Research and procurement of environmentally friendly transportation solutions, as required by Stony Brook Administration, Federal and State mandates.
- Fleet Maintenance and Repair: Ensure the operation of over 450 Stony Brook University vehicles and grounds equipment (including those on East, West, South, Southampton, and Research and Development Park campuses.)
- SBU Transit Maintenance and Repair: Ensure the operation and proper maintenance of over 30 SBU Transit vehicles.
Services and destinations include:
- Over 15 destinations on Stony Brook University Main Campus, as well as to a variety of Sunday Shopping Route destinations.
- Stony Brook University Main Campus to/from Stony Brook Southampton.
University Parking Areas
University Parking Garages, which total over 5,050 parking spaces, including the operation, maintenance and access control equipment for the following areas:
- Administration Parking Garage (includes visitor parking)
- Hospital Parking Garage (includes visitor parking)
- HSC Parking Garage (includes Community Physicians Parking Lot and Level 2 Open Lot)
Surface Parking Lots, which total over 7,300 surface parking spaces on East and West Campuses, including:
- Visitor Parking (metered, light blue on map)
- Faculty/Staff Permitted Parking (red on map)
- Commuter Permitted Parking (green on map)
- Premium Permitted Parking (brown on map)
- Special Service Permitted Parking (orange on map)
About the Department of Transportation and Parking Operations
The Department of Transportation and Parking Operations provides essential transportation and parking solutions for Stony Brook University on the following campuses: Main Campus (East, West and South), Stony Brook Southampton, and the Research & Development Park.
Stony Brook University has launched SBU Smart Transit, a global positioning system that tracks real-time SBU Transit bus and shuttle locations and passenger occupancy.