- Valid Passport - Students that do not have a passport or need to apply for a passport renewal must apply by the time the SBU study abroad application is submitted. Students applying within two weeks of the published application deadline are recommended to use the expedited service when applying for or renewing their passport.
- Currently in good academic standing at a college/university, including no remarks of academic dishonesty. Please see individual program pages for specific requirements.
- International Academic Programs may interview candidates to determine their qualifications.
- International students are welcome to apply to SBU programs, though some restrictions may apply. Contact an advisor for details.
How to Apply:
Applicants must visit the individual program page to start their application.
All application materials should be submitted electronically. The following information is required:
- Statement of Purpose: Please indicate your interest in the particular program or location and describe how the program will help reach your academic goals. Submissions should be 300 words.
- Official Transcript: Please order official copies from all institutions you have attended and specify that the documents be sent to you via mail. Open the envelopes (documents will still be considered official), scan in black and white at low resolution, then upload. Campus computer labs can provide assistance. Keep all original documents for your records.
- Student Conduct Form: This form can be downloaded below or from the online application. Please follow the instructions on the form carefully and once both sections have been completed, upload to your application. Note that this form will require the signature of your campus judicial officer (the office which holds your student conduct record), which may take several business days to obtain. SBU students will have their form reviewed by the Office of Community Standards in rm. 347 Administration. The student conduct form is a SUNY requirement. It is not used to determine eligibility for consideration to a program. It serves to enable our office to to see if students have any obligations to their home campus that need to be considered for the semester they would like to study abroad.
- Learning Agreement Form: This form can be downloaded below. Students are responsible for understanding their degree requirements. Please consult with both a general academic advisor(s) as well as major/minor advisor(s) to learn which requirements are not yet completed. It is recommended to request evaluations for courses that are needed towards remaining degree requirements. We suggest that students obtain approval for 6 to 8 courses, so that some may serve as backup if necessary.
- Please view already approved courses in the Partner Course Database.
- A legible copy of the information page of your passport: Please upload to your application where directed.
- The names and email addresses of two academic references. See below for more information on what an academic reference entails.
- Additional language proficiency recommendation may be required. Please see individual program pages for details.