Skip Navigation

Study Abroad Policies & Guidelines

Resource header 

International Credits

International Transfer Credit Policy for Summer & Winter for Currently Enrolled SBU Students

To obtain Stony Brook credit for  summer or winter courses offered by an institution outside of the United States, currently enrolled Stony Brook students are required to participate in an approved partner university program offered through International Academic Programs (IAP) in the Office of Global Affairs.  All other international credits obtained in the summer or winter will not be eligible as transfer credit applied to your Stony Brook degree program. This also includes credits taken from U.S. institutions outside of IAP or SUNY.

New York State residents participating in an IAP approved program pay the in-state tuition rate for coursework; all other students participating in an IAP approved program pay the out-of-state tuition rate for coursework.  Scholarships ranging from $500-$3000 are available for IAP participants (eligibility based on academic eligibility and financial burden of program).  Visit for details on IAP approved programs, costs, and scholarships.

For matriculated SBU students who completed the Home Abroad Program during COVID, please refer your Graduate Admissions Office to this memo should they have questions about your program credits.