The curriculum consists of five required courses:
- LIN 502 Methods I: Foundation of ESOL Pedagogy
- LIN 503 Methods II: Language and Literacy through Content Areas
- LIN 504 Introduction to Teaching Linguistic and Literacy Skills to English Language Learners
- LIN 505 Structure of English Grammar for Teachers
- LIN 544 Literacy in the Content Areas
Classes may be offered during the week and/or on weekends. Each class meets for the required 37.5 contact hours total. Courses will be offered to each cohort in a recommended sequence.
Teachers may take these courses without matriculating, but they are welcome to apply to Stony Brook for admission to any one of the rigorous graduate programs offered by the University. All of these courses would be accepted to the School of Professional Development’s Master of Arts in Liberal Studies program and would count toward the 18-credit specialization.