The following materials required for admissions to SPD's advanced graduate certificate programs:
Personal statement. Please attach a personal statement of 750 – 1000 words that is a reflection of your ability to approach graduate-level work successfully, using creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research. Your statement should address the following:
- What is your purpose in pursuing this degree/certificate?
- How have you prepared yourself for this field of study?
- Specifically, how will this degree/certificate assist you in advancing both your professional and personal goals?
- Describe your research and study interests and any other aspects of your background, skills, or qualifications that would aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your motivation for graduate study.
Your personal statement must be your own original work.
An official transcript indicating conferral of a bachelor's degree (minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average).
- In those cases where the departmental admissions committee deems it desirable, personal interviews with departmental representatives may be requested.
Under certain circumstances, promising candidates who lack the required academic preparation may be considered for conditional admission. » Conditional Admissions Policy
How to Apply
To expedite the application and admissions process, please upload and/or send all materials to the SPD contact as required by your program at the time of submission of your application.
All materials must be submitted by the published deadlines. Applications submitted after these deadlines will be accepted on a space-available basis. If there is no space available for the requested term, applications will be considered for the following term.
- Applications, personal statements, any other required materials and a nonrefundable $100 application fee are submitted online through Slate.
- Students who take any courses on campus will also be required to send Student Health Servicea completed immunization/meningitis form, which must be received before the first day of their first on-campus term. Visit Student Health Service website for more information.
- Transcripts and any other supporting materials not included in your electronic application can be sent to the appropriate director or coordinator listed below. *Please do not send any SPD application materials to the Graduate School.
This program will begin admitting students for the Fall 2021 academic term. Applications submitted by the deadline date will be granted priority review. Completed application packages received after this date will be accommodated as space permits.