Skip Navigation

Transcripts and Records


Students who wish to have Stony Brook transcripts forwarded to another institution or agency, or to themselves for their own use, must visit How to Order Official Transcripts on the Registrar’s website for instructions. Students in the School of Medicine or the School of Dental Medicine must order transcripts by contacting their school. School of Medicine at (631) 444-2341; School of Dental Medicine (631) 632-8901.

All financial obligations to the University must be satisfied before a transcript can be released. A request for a transcript must be made by the student. Students who have both an undergraduate and a graduate transcript and want only one of them sent should specify it in their request. Partial transcripts of either the undergraduate or graduate academic records are not issued.

Student Educational Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act allows current or former students to inspect and review their educational records. Students are also accorded the right to a hearing in order to question the contents of their educational records. Written consent of students may be required before personally identifiable information about them will be released from their educational records as provided by law. Specific guidelines and procedures are contained in the Policy Manual of the University, T-507, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. A copy of this manual is available in the Reference Room of the Melville Library. After administrative remedies available at the University have been exhausted, inquiries or complaints may be filed with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office, Department of Health and Human Services, 330 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20201. Applicants or students may waive their rights to inspect confidential letters or statements of recommendation.