Skip Navigation

Grading Policies 

Grading System

The following grading system will be used for graduate students: A (4.0), A- (3.67), B+ (3.33), B (3.00), B- (2.67), C+ (2.33), C (2.00), C-(1.67), F (0.00). Graded/Pass/No Credit (G/P/NC) and grades of D are not approved grades for graduate students.

  • A student’s permanent academic record must reflect a final grade or a withdrawal grade for each course in which he or she is enrolled.
  • If a student receives an incomplete (I) grade and the final grade has not been reported by the scheduled deadline (see Registrar’s Academic Calendar), or if the deadline has not been appropriately extended, an I/F grade will be recorded. This will calculate towards the term and cumulative GPAs as an F.
  • Courses that are designated in the Bulletin as "may be repeated for credit" may be taken more than once for credit and all grades earned will be used to calculate in the GPA for probation or graduation purposes.

All other courses can only be repeated at the discretion of the instructor of the course and the student’s Graduate Program Director, and they may only be repeated once. A permission form is required to enroll in a course that is being repeated. Only the most recent attempt/grade will count towards the grade point average, but both attempts and both grades will appear on the official transcript.

  • A student’s official transcript will show all grades received. A student’s transcript shall reflect the cumulative GPA as calculated for probation and graduation.

Final grades for all courses are the responsibility of the instructor of the course and represent his or her best judgment of the performance of the individual student. While the judgment of the instructor is not an academically appealable matter, there may be circumstances in which a student may appeal to have a grade re-evaluated. In all such cases, the request for re-evaluation must be made in writing within four calendar weeks of the notification of the final grade by the Registrar.

I (Incomplete)

An “I” is an interim grade given at the discretion of the instructor at the student’s request and upon evidence that good cause, such as serious illness, prevented the student’s completion of course requirements. In granting a grade of I, the instructor signifies a willingness to receive student work and submit grades in accordance with official deadlines and policies.

  • Auditing a subsequent offering of the course may not make up an Incomplete.
  • Final grades for students granted temporary grades of Incompletes "I", must be submitted by the subsequent term. The deadline for "I" grade completion is listed on the academic calendar each semester and is published by the Registrar’s Office. However, the instructor may require that the work be completed at any time prior to the end of the Incomplete extension period. Students should confer with their instructors to establish the deadline for the work to be completed.
  • An instructor may request an extension of the original Incomplete by sending written notification to the Office of Records/Registrar before the Academic Calendar deadline date. Any extension will usually be limited to the last day of classes of the semester following that in which the course was taken. Any subsequent extensions beyond the deadline must be approved by the School of Professional Development.
  • If final grades are not reported to the Office of Records/Registrar by the specified dates, the grade of I will automatically change to I/F.

S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory)

A grade of S (Satisfactory) indicates passing work (equivalent to the grade of B or higher) in those courses so designated by the program and approved by the Graduate Council where the usual mode of evaluation is impractical. A grade of U (Unsatisfactory) indicates unsatisfactory work. S/U grades are not calculated as part of a student’s cumulative or semester GPA. Courses that are usually offered on a S/U basis are so indicated in the graduate class schedule published for each term.

R (Registered)

R is assigned to indicate attendance during the first semester in a year-long course. The final grade will be assigned after the completion of two semesters.

NR (No Record)

An instructor may assign a grade of NR only for students who have never, to the instructor’s knowledge, participated in the course in any way. A NR grade can remain on the student’s record or may be resolved through either the formal petition process to withdraw the course from a student’s record (resulting in a W), or an assignment of a different grade by the instructor.

Change of Grade

Grades appearing on a student’s academic record may not be changed after one calendar year from the start of term in which the grade was incurred.

  • A final grade may not be changed on the basis of work completed after a term has ended.
  • A final grade appearing on a student’s academic record at the time of graduation cannot be changed to any other grade subsequent to the awarding of the degree. This includes processing a course withdrawal or cancellation. No grades associated with any prior earned master’s, certificate or other SBU degree can be changed once the degree has been awarded.
  • Grade changes that involve changing one grade to another, changing an incomplete to a letter grade after the first day of classes, or changing an incomplete to a letter grade after an extension has expired, must be approved by the School of Professional Development.


Auditing is permitted by special arrangement between student and instructor. No record is kept of such courses.