Skip Navigation

SoMAS Internal


Human Resources






Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How to get a SBU ID card?

To obtain a card, please bring with you one form of government issued photo identification (e.g. a driver’s license, passport, etc.) to one of the following Campus Card Office locations:

Main Campus: Stony Brook Union, Suite 207
Tel: (631) 63 CARDS
East Campus:  Health Sciences Center, Level 3, Room 162

For more information, click here.

2. How to get a parking permit?

If you park on campus, your vehicle must be registered and display a valid parking permit. You should not park on campus until you have a valid parking permit properly displayed on your vehicle. Violators are obligated to pay all parking tickets incurred and should not assume a favorable decision. The University only recognizes parking permits issued by Parking Services or official disabled parking permits. All other parking permits are invalid.

To apply for a faculty parking permit and for more information on Parking, please click here.

3. How to log into Brightspace?

Brightspace is a web-based course management system. It is accessible at from any computer with Internet access, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Brightspace is not just a place to upload syllabi and other course materials. There are numerous tools available, many of them interactive:

  • Discussion board
  • E-mail
  • Assignment submission with plagiarism detection
  • Online chat with whiteboard for visual demonstrations
  • Grade Center
  • Statistical information on student activity

Use your NetID and NetID password to log in. Your NetID is different from your Stony Brook ID number. For more information on Brightspace, please visit the information pages on the DoIT website.

4. How to access the SOLAR system?

The SOLAR system can be used to submit grades, review the class roster, access time and location of courses. A Stony Brook University ID number is required to log in to the SOLAR system. Employees can find their ID number on the Stony Brook University ID card they are issued at the time of their hiring. To access SOLAR system, please click here.

5. How to enroll for the Direct Deposit program?

The Electronic Direct Deposit Program offers employees greater flexibility in choosing a financial institution, and provides a cost-effective method of servicing the banking needs for Stony Brook employees.

Eligible employees may elect to direct deposit their net salary into an account at any bank, savings and loan associations, Federal or State chartered credit union, or similar institution that has Automated Clearing House (ACH) capabilities, and chooses to participate in the New York State Electronic Direct Deposit Program. All Financial Institutions are required to have funds available at the opening of business on payday.

On payday, you will receive an Advice (statement). The net amount on the Advice is the amount which was credited to your account. For more information on the Direct Deposit program, please click here.

6. How to login to the Stony Brook email account?

Open a Web browser and type Authentication is required through Stony Brook’s Single Sign-On page using your NetID and NetID password. For more information, please click here.

7. How to access the University Policy Manual?

The University Policy Manual provides a detailed description on various topics like submission of grades, tuition benefits for employees, use of campus facilities and use of university name or logo. To access the University Policy Manual, please click here.

8. How to join Faculty/Staff debit plan in Campus Dining?

You are able to add funds to all meal plans by cash, check or credit card in person at the Meal Plan Office or the Bursar’s Office in the Administration building. At you may add funds by credit card and they will be added instantly to your meal plan 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may also add funds by credit card over the phone with the Bursar by calling (631) 632-9316. For more information on campus dining services, please click here.

9. What support services are available to students such as academic advising, counseling and disability support services?

The Academic and Transfer Advising Services provides overall communication to Stony Brook undergraduates about academic advising and the evaluation of transfer credits for general education requirements. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers free and confidential services available to currently enrolled students taking at least six credit hours. Included are crisis intervention, brief counseling for individuals, couples, and groups; consultation to students, faculty, staff, friends, and parents; assistance with referrals to community resources. Disability Support Services (DSS) assists students and employees with disabilities in accessing the many resources of the University. Individuals with visual, mobility and hearing impairment as well as those with hidden disabilities such as chronic medical conditions, psychological, and learning disabilities are invited to make use of the services and equipment available. For more information, please click here.

10. What technology is in the classroom I am teaching in?

The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) manages over 110 classrooms, 17 computer labs, video conferencing rooms, television studios, and informal high tech student study spaces including group collaboration facilities. They are actively upgrading classrooms to support and encourage a more student centered teaching style at the University and broadening the variety of classrooms available to faculty. For more information on classroom facilities, please click here.

11. How do course evaluations work?

Faculty can receive results of course evaluations after grades are submitted, which allows them the opportunity to incorporate student feedback into the next semester’s courses.To access the course evaluation system, please click here.

12. How to order textbooks and other course materials?

The University Bookstore is located in the basement of the Melville Library. For more information on hours of operation, course material requisitions and deadlines for textbook requisitions, please click here.