How to Apply
Letters of Intent (strongly encouraged) must be received no later than December 17, 2020. The Full Application deadline is January 12, 2021 at 11:59pm EST. Links to the online submission portals can be found below. You will receive confirmation emails that your LOI and application have been received immediately after you submit. If you do not receive this email after submitting your LOI or full proposal, please contact the Office of Proposal Development at OPD_OVPR@stonybrook.edu to confirm.
- All PIs must be current, full-time, tenured or tenure track faculty at Stony Brook University. Exceptions for full-time non-tenure track faculty may be requested and must be accompanied by written endorsement from the department chair at least 15 days before the deadline (sent to: OPD_OVPR@stonybrook.edu). A response will be provided within 5 business days.
- You may only be PI on one application and Co-PI on one application. There is a limit of four Co-PIs on any application.
- You may not apply as PI if you currently have an active OVPR Seed Grant.
Letter of Intent (strongly encouraged)
Due December 17, 2020. Please click here to submit:
- Name and Department(s) of PI and Co-PI's/Co-I's
- Title of Application
- Brief paragraph describing the research that will be proposed
Due January 12, 2021. Please click here to submit:
Page limits for each section are listed below. All documents should be combined in the following order and uploaded into ONE PDF file. Font size must be 11 points or larger with 1 inch margins. Smaller text in figures, graphs, diagrams and charts is acceptable, as long as it is legible when the page is viewed at 100%.
- (i) Brief statement (1 to 2 paragraphs) of how this will advance the PI/Co-PI's career and/or research program and (ii) timeline for submitting a proposal to an external sponsor. It is advisable to indicate the specific sponsor/program. (1 page limit)
- Overview/Abstract (1 page limit)
- Project Description (including project goals/objectives and how they align with the seed grant objectives) - (4 page limit)
- References (There are no limitations to the number of references cited. This section should consist of full citations including authors, year of publication, title, journal, and inclusive pages. Do not include any abstracts, summaries, or other annotations)
- Budget Justification (no page limit).
- Current and pending funding for all PIs and Co-PIs (no page limit)
- CV required for all PIs and Co-PIs (2 page limit per investigator)
Please note: Name of PI and Co-PIs and their respective department(s), Project Title, and Budget will be entered directly into the application portal.
Budget/Justification: All costs should be itemized in the budget and justified in the budget justification. Budgets should not exceed $70,000. Salary for PI/Co-PIs must present strong justification and all personnel related expenses must include fringe. Travel funds may be requested but must be necessary to perform the proposed research. Given that these are internal funds, F&A costs should not be included in the budget. The Graduate School is offering a Tuition on Research Grants (ToRG) waiver and tuition scholarship for supported Stony Brook PhD students. Please indicate TORG waiver request in your budget justification but do not budget tuition.*
*PIs should indicate this in their budget submission and also, check "waiver" on the students' payroll appointment forms. This is only relevant to programs administered by the Graduate School. PhD students' graduate tuition scholarships should continue to be processed via their graduate program's GTS rosters through the Grad Finance office.
All applications that comply with these guidelines will be peer reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Scientific innovation and excellence
- Strength of the research team
- Clarity and efficiency of the budget
- Opportunities created by the project for attracting external funding
- How this will advance the PI/Co-PI's/Co-I's career and/or research program
Finalists will be required to present their project concept to a panel of university academic/research leaders for final selection.
Awarded projects will be required to submit a progress report 12 months after the receipt of the seed funds and a final report 18 months after. A template will be provided.
Please direct all questions to: OPD_OVPR@stonybrook.edu