Graduate Admissions Information - MA
The MA in Political Science only offers Fall Admission. The MA in Public Policy offers both Fall and Spring Admission.
MA in Political Science (Fall Admission Only)
- International Applicants: April 15
- Domestic Applicants (Early Consideration): May 15
- Domestic Applicants (Rolling Admission): July 1
MA in Public Policy (Fall and Spring Admission)
- Fall Admission, International Applicants: April 15
- Fall Admission, Domestic Applicants: July 1
- Spring Admission, International Applicants: October 1
- Spring Admission, Domestic Applicants: December 15
A complete application consists of the following documentation:
- Stony Brook University online application including statement of purpose.
- Applicants must have an earned baccalaureate degree with a grade point average of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale) equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree.
- Three letters of recommendation. These letters should be academic, but consideration will also be given to non-academic letters. Letters must be uploaded online by the recommender using the link which will be sent via email.
- Transcripts should be uploaded as part of your application. Additionally, upon acceptance,
official transcripts are required.
Official e-transcripts sent directly from the Office of the Registrar at your institution are acceptable. E-transcript orders should be sent to email@example.com . Please note that all physical mail is being forwarded to an imaging service and sent back to our office digitally; therefore, receipt of physical mail may be delayed. Mail should be sent using United States Postal Services (USPS), not other mailing services.
Please mail official materials to :
Office of Graduate and Health Sciences Admissions
Health Sciences Tower
Stony Brook University
Level 2, Room 271
Stony Brook, New York 11794-8276
Fax: (631) 444-6035
General E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
*What constitutes an official, final transcript? Official transcripts are valid when they are issued by the school you attended. They have an official seal/stamp and an official signature by an appropriate academic administrative officer. They are sealed by the university. Official electronic transcripts, sent by authorized delivery agents, are also accepted. Photocopied documents are NOT official. Final transcripts state that a degree has been conferred and provide the date of conferral.
- If you’ve previously attend Stony Brook University, you will not be required to send an official SBU transcript, but are required to upload an unofficial version of the SBU transcript for review purposes.
- TOEFL scores reported directly to Stony Brook (
GRE scores are waived for the 22-23 admissions cycle.
- Proof of Permanent Residency is required for students who declare themselves as Permanent Residents.
- Application fee of $100 (credit Card).
Completed applications are reviewed by the committee on a rolling basis. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. All application materials are due by the posted deadline.
Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement
The Statement should sufficiently describe your reasons for applying to the Master's program in Political Science program at Stony Brook University. Your statement should address:
- Research Interests
- Background in Political Science
- Career plans
- Additional interests or information that can assist the admissions committee in evaluating your application.
The Statement of Purpose should not exceed two double spaced pages (approx. 500 words).
TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo.
These scores are required for applicants who declare a language other than English as their native language. The Graduate School will not accept any test scores that are more than 2 years old based on the application deadline date.
The department of Political Science does not waive language score requirements.
IELTS: Overall score of 6.5, with no subsection recommended to be below 6
TOEFL: 80 for Master's level; 90 for admission to a doctoral program and to be eligible for consideration for TA/GA support
There are no exceptions for these minimum score requirements.
Completing the Application
Frequently Asked Questions