Graduate Admissions Information: PhD
The online application can be accessed here .The deadline to apply for admission for the academic year 2022-23 is January 15th. The application system closes at midnight (Eastern Time Zone).
The department of Political Science only reviews applications for students that will be entering our program during the fall semester.
The Political Science Doctoral Program admits admit students who intend to complete the Ph.D., although students are eligible to receive the M.A.
Applicants who apply for the PhD but are not offered admission, may contact the department to be considered for the M.A. in Political Science program (an additional application fee will not be required).
A complete application consists of the following documentation:
- Stony Brook University online application including statement of purpose.
- Applicants must have an earned baccalaureate degree with a grade point average of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale) equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree.
- Three letters of recommendation. These letters should be academic, but consideration will also be given to non-academic letters. Letters must be uploaded online by the recommender using the link which will be sent via email.
- Transcripts should be uploaded as part of your application. In addition to the upload,
official transcripts from each institution you’ve attended
- W hat constitutes an official, final transcript? Official transcripts are valid when they are issued by the school you attended. They have an official seal/stamp and an official signature by an appropriate academic administrative officer. They are sealed by the university. Official electronic transcripts, sent by authorized delivery agents, are also accepted. Photocopied documents are NOT official. Final transcripts state that a degree has been conferred and provide the date of conferral. Official Electronic versions of official transcript if available should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you’ve previously attend Stony Brook University, you will not be required to send an official SBU transcript, but are required to upload an unofficial version of the SBU transcript for review purposes.
- TOEFL scores reported directly to Stony Brook ( code 2548).
- GRE scores are waived for the 22-23 admissions cycle.
- Proof of Permanent Residency is required for students who declare themselves as Permanent Residents
- Application fee of $100 (credit Card).
Statement of Purpose
The Statement of Purpose should sufficiently describe your reasons for applying to the PhD program in Political Science program at Stony Brook University. Your statement should address:
- Research Interests
- Background in Political Science
- Career plans
- Additional interests or information that can assist the admissions committee in evaluating your application.
The Statement of Purpose should not exceed two double spaced pages (approx. 500 words).
TOEFL or IELTS
These scores are required for applicants who declare a language other than English
as their native language. The Graduate School will not accept any test scores that
are more than 2 years old based on the application deadline date. For example, TOEFL
exams taken prior to January 2016 will not be accepted for applications due on January
The Department of Political Science does not waive the TOEFL/IELTS/ Duelingo requirements under any conditions.
IELTS: Overall score of 6.5, with no subsection recommended to be below 6
TOEFL: 90 for admission to a doctoral program and to be eligible for consideration for TA/GA support
There are no exceptions for these minimum score requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Your letter writers should submit their letters by the posted deadline: January 15th. Applications with missing letters of recommendations will still be reviewed by the committee for consideration. While recommenders may upload outstanding letters after January 15th , there's no guarantee they will be read by the committee.
Stony Brook University
S707 Social and Behavioral Sciences
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4392
We will update all applicant application status pages online (weekly). Please note that due to the volume of documents we receive, it can take several business days for updates of materials to be reflected.
If you have uploaded your transcripts, but we have not received the official mailed versions, your status will show it as either “missing” or “received unofficial.” The system will not show the status of your application as “complete” however your file can still be reviewed.
Test scores usually take longer as they enter a central database before being manually applied to applications.
If you have additional questions or issues with application process, please contact the Graduate Program Coordinator, Carri Horner. Please note that during admission season, e-mail is preferred.