- Giving to Stony Brook
- Financial Services
- Resources to Support Account Directors & Staff
- SBF Requisitions for Scholarships, Prizes or Award Funds
- SBF Student Aid Recipient Spreadsheet
- New Account Application Process - Revised September 2021
- New Fund Agreement / Account Application for Gift Agreement - Revised September 2021
- New Memorandum of Use/Account Application Process Revised September 2021
- Credit Card Reconciliations Process Revised August 2021
- Travel to NC and MS
- About International Payees
- GIVE NOW ➞
Spending Money From Your Account
Funds may be spent from unrestricted, restricted, agency accounts and expendable endowments. The purpose of the expenditure must comply with the purpose for which the account was established and be consistent with the donor's intent when the gift or grant was accepted. It is the responsibility of the Account Director to insure that these requirements are met.
Note: If you are paying a vendor invoice or a student reimbursement and/or award, please refer to the AvidXchange section on this site.
Key Steps for Success:
1. Expenditures Request
To help you gather and supply the required information and back-up documents that should accompany your Avid electronic submission and/or paper requisition form, please refer to the Stony Brook Foundation Checklist.
1. Please fill out a Requisition Form. NOTE: the Requisition Form has pop-up notifications that will aid you in properly filling out the required mandatory fields.
- See the Instructions for a Requisition Form for helpful directions. (Note: Form does not function well when using Firefox)
- To save a requisition form, please follow these directions How to “Save” a Requisition Form.
2. A Tax-Exempt Organization Certificate is required when making purchases with Stony Brook Foundation Funds. The Stony Brook Foundation does not reimburse for New York State taxes.
3. Email required forms and back-up to the Stony Brook Foundation Business Office, 230 Administration Building, zip=1188.
4. Need further assistance, please reference the Dictionary of Stony Brook Foundation Dictionary. Please note there are several requested hyperlinks within this dictionary that connect to websites and/or forms on this new website.
5. Summer session only - as students are not eligible for health insurance during the summer session, the Participant Stipend Form can be completed.
2. Request Reimbursement for Eligible Travel
To help you gather and supply the required information and back-up documents that should accompany your Travel Voucher Form, please refer to the Stony Brook Foundation Checklist.1. Please fill out the Travel Voucher Form. Refer to the Travel Voucher Instructions for help.
2. For mileage reimbursements, include a print out of a google map of your itinerary and complete a State of New York Statement of Automobile Travel Form.
3. For mileage reimbursements, please use the link below to get the standard IRS mileage rate.
4. Student Travel / Conferences - If there is no identifiable business purpose and/or benefit to Stony Brook University, travel and conference reimbursement may be a taxable event. In order for the Stony Brook Foundation to determine the tax status, please complete the Student Travel / Conference Questionnaire
3. Request Payments for Individuals
To help you gather and supply the required information and back-up documents that should accompany your Requisition Form, please refer to the Stony Brook Foundation Checklist.An independent contractor is a non-employee contracted to perform work or services to Stony Brook University. As a result, independent contractors must pay their own federal, state, and local taxes, and workers compensation. Honorarium is a payment given for professional services that are rendered nominally without charge.
Before a contractor starts services:
1. Your department must complete an IRS 20 Factors of the Common Law Test and send to HR, who will confirm with you that an independent contractor is approved and added to the system.
(An independent contractor form is to be used when a vendor requests payment as an individual with his/her Social Security Number.)
To request payments:
1. The Independent Contractor/Honoraria Payment Tool has a series of questions with links that will guide you through the payment process with Human Resources
2. Your department and the contractor must complete pages 1 and 2 of the Independent Contractor/Honorarium Payment Form Service Form. The completed form and all required documentation (e.g., Independent Contractor Service Agreement, W 9 Form, original receipts…etc.) should be submitted to Human Resources for their approval. If you have any questions regarding these forms, please contact Human Resources or go to their website.
3. To help you gather and supply the required information and back-up documents see Independent Contractor/Honorarium Payment Checklist. Send the completed checklist in with your payment request.
4. Helpful Website Links
· Requisition Form (Note: Form does not function well when using Firefox)