Petition for Scholarship Reinstatement
Many University scholarships are awarded with the provision that the student continue to meet the guidelines that were defined when the student initially accepted or applied for the scholarship. Most scholarship renewal eligibility is reviewed annually after the spring grades have been posted. Departmental scholarships may be reviewed at the end of each semester. If the student’s academic record indicates that the student is not in compliance with the terms of the scholarship provisions, the scholarship is not renewed.
Students have the option to appeal the loss of their scholarship. We strongly encourage students to wait until they have restored their academic record to the required minimum for scholarship eligibility prior to submitting an appeal.
The scholarship reinstatement request process begins with the completion of the Scholarship Reinstatement Petition Form. A link to the form will be provided to you in the email communication that is sent to you detailing your ineligible status. Additional directions for submission will be provided on the form. If you no longer have the email, contact the financial aid office and we will assign a To Do List Item in SOLAR, which will provide the needed link.
A reinstatement request must include, at a minimum the following:
- The completed and signed Scholarship Reinstatement Petition Form
- A formal letter written and signed by the student - An email, phone call, in-person request or a request from someone other than the student will not be considered. Additionally a reinstatement request may also include third party supporting documentation where applicable (examples: doctor note, death certificate, letter from academic adviser)
Scholarship appeal letters should be mailed or uploaded to the following address:
- Appeals for the loss of Honors College Scholarships should be directed to the Honors College.
- Appeals for the loss of undergraduate departmental scholarships should be directed to the specific department.
- Appeals for the loss of Graduate Tuition Scholarships should be directed to the graduate department.
- All other Scholarship Appeal letters should be directed to:
Scholarship Appeal Committee
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services
Stony Brook Union, Suite 208
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3252
To apply for scholarship reinstatement in the Fall term, the application must be received by the financial aid office no later than November 1st of the term in question.
To apply for scholarship reinstatement in the Spring term, the application must be received by the financial aid office no later than April 1st of the term in question.