Special Information for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 Applicants
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering will accept Duolingo English test in place of the in-person TOEFL or IELTS proficiency exams for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 admission. More information about registering for Duolingo English can be found in the Graduate bulletin here.
We will also waive the GRE requirement, and will accept scanned copies of transcripts and degree certificates in lieu of originals at the time of application. Please only mail documents to the office address below if you are accepted for admission to our programs. You will be required to present original documents for registration beyond your first semester.
- For Doctoral applicants wishing to receive financial support consideration, the SPRING deadline for receipt of applications and all supporting materials is October 1st.
- For all other applicants, the SPRING deadline for receipt of applications and all supporting materials is November 1st.
- International applicants are encouraged to apply by October 1st to allow for extra time to process visa documents.
- For Doctoral applicants wishing to receive financial support consideration, the FALL deadline for receipt of applications and all supporting materials is January 15th
- For all other applicants, the final FALL deadline for receipt of applications and all supporting materials is May 1st
- Minimum GPA
- Equal to a 3.3 (determined as per calculation by Graduate School)
|Minimum GRE (Old Scoring)||Minimum GRE (New Scoring)|
- IELTS: Overall score of 7.0, with no subsection recommended to be below 6
- TOEFL: 80 for Master's level; 90 for admission to a doctoral program and to be eligible for consideration for TA/GA support
- Any applicant who is not a native or primary speaker of English must present a minimum score for either the TOEFL or IELTS tests (Including those applicants who have graduated from a United States university or a university that teaches solely in English)
|TOEFL iBT Speak||IELTS Speak||Course Requirement||Result|
|23–30||7 or Higher||none||Eligible to TA|
|21–22||6.5||OAE 594||Eligible to TA|
|18–20||6||OAE 592||Eligible to run recitation and
lab sessions and/or grade
|15–17||5–5.5||OAE 590||Not eligible to TA|
How To Apply
- Admission into the Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering program requires the completion of an online Admissions Application Form. Hard copies of the application will not be accepted.
- Required Graduate Application Materials to be Mailed
- Two (2) Official Transcripts from all previously attended Colleges or Universities listed on your application
- Two (2) Official Degree Certificates or Provisional Certificates from all previously attended Colleges or Universities listed on your application
- Letters of Recommendation that have not been submitted electronically through your application
- Original report pages of IETLS exams
Where to Submit Documents
- All Hard Copy Application Materials Should Be Mailed to:
Stony Brook University
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Light Engineering Building, Room 273
Stony Brook, NY 11794-2350
- Exam scores should be reported on your application and submitted electronically through ETS using the University Code 2548
- All other application materials should be submitted electronically through Apply Yourself under Supplemental Materials
- Do not send:
- Financial documents or bank statements with your application materials
- Secondary School mark-sheets, achievement awards, and certificates
Checking on the Status of Your Application
- Due to the high volume of Fall applications we ask that you do not send numerous e-mails
checking on the status of your application or telephone the Department regarding application
status until AFTER April 15th
- Fall offer letters will be sent out in March. All offer letters will be sent electronically
to the email address used in the Apply Yourself Application. Please be sure that you list a correct and current email address on your application
- If you DO NOT receive a letter of offer, or any notification by April 15th, you should contact the Department at that time