Skip Navigation

Academic Advising is Important

All students in the College of Arts & Sciences, College of Business, School of Journalism, and School of Marine & Atmospheric Sciences are strongly encouraged to utilize Academic & Transfer Advising Services.  

All students in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, please click here to utilize the advising services of the CEAS Undergraduate Student Office.


Things to Think About

In order to be on track for graduation, here are some things you should be thinking about:

  • Know your class year. Class year at Stony Brook is determined by credit count, not by how many years you have attended. If you have earned 24-56 credits you are a sophomore, if you have earned 57-84 credits you are a junior, and if you have earned 85 or more you are a senior.
  • Meet with an academic advisor.  You can meet with an advisor in Academic & Transfer Advising Services for all general education advising matters schedule a virtual advising appointment through  Navigate.  Please check here  for our current walk-in availability. We are located  in Suite 105, Stony Brook Union. 
  • Review your degree works report. At least once each semester, review your degree works report on SOLAR. Go to “Student Records & Registration”, click “Degree Progress/Graduation”, and click “Degree Works”. Here you will see the status of your general education requirements (i.e., skills/ DEC, SBC, 39 upper division credits, etc.) Additionally, majors and minors have been added to the degree works report. 
  • Register for classes. Depending upon your major, select some DEC or SBCs and some major classes to create a good, balanced schedule. Full-time students must enroll in at least 12 credits. Strongly consider taking a winter class or summer classes to catch up or get ahead in your studies.
  • Declare a major. If you have not yet declared a major, you will need to do so upon earning 45 credits, or by the middle of your sophomore year. If you do not know what you wish to major in, speak with an academic advisor. Faculty and staff major advisors in the academic departments help monitor your progress towards the completion of major and minor requirements.
  • Review the "Please be Advised" site.  The Please be Advised  site includes important information on academic deadlines, programs, upcoming events, and video tutorials.  


Special Information for Sophomores

  • Contact an academic advisor. Contact an academic advisor in Academic & Transfer Advising Services to review your degree works report and to discuss your academic plan.  Advisors are available for all general education advising matters and to assist with your academic transition from the freshman to sophomore year.
  • Send your Transcripts. Remember to send all transcripts from previous schools, including AP scores, college and university transcripts to:

            Academic & Transfer Advising Services
            Suite 105, Stony Brook Union 
            Stony Brook University
            Stony Brook, NY 11794-3217
            Send electronic transcripts to:

Send your high school transcript to:

           Undergraduate Admissions
           Stony Brook University
           118  Administration Building
           Stony Brook, NY 11794-1901

For more information, click on the "Transfer Info" tab above.