Undergraduate Project Leader applications are due on May 4, 2022 by 11:59pm ET.
Undergraduate Project Leader Eligibility
Undergraduate applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for a Project Leader position:
- In Good Academic Standing in the University
- Affiliated with the University through Spring 2023 (students can not have graduated before Spring 2023)
- At least 18 years of age by August 22, 2022.
- Must pass a standard background check.
- Note that priority will be given to applicants in the University’s Educational Opportunity
Program and to Alumni of the Academy of Civic Life.
Steps to apply
1. Review the Undergraduate Project Leader position description.
2. Write a personal statement (around 500 words).
As you write, consider the following questions:
- Why do you want to become an Undergraduate Student Leader?
- Do you have any relevant personal or professional experiences that would relate to the responsibilities required of the Undergraduate Student Leader?
- Why do you want to work with students from underserved high schools?
- Why are you interested in activism and civic engagement?
Check out these tips for writing a personal statement, which you can adapt for this Student Project Leader application.
The Stony Brook Writing Center is a great resource for getting feedback on your writing,
including personal statements. Make an appointment with the Writing Center.
3. Write a 1-2 page resume.
You can use the University's Career Center to learn more about writing your resume.
4. Find two professional references.
Ask previous professors, counselors, coaches, supervisors, etc. for permission to list them as a reference on this application. (We recommend contacting potential references at least 2 weeks before the application deadline). When you give us their contact information, we will automatically contact them and ask that they fill out an online reference form. The reference forms will be due one week after the applications close (on or before May 11, 2022).
5. Obtain copies of your college transcripts.
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
If you attended more than one college, make sure to get copies of your transcripts from all of the institutions you attended.
6. Submit your Undergraduate Project Leader application online.
Remember, your application will need to include the following:
- College transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- Personal Statement (around 500 words)
- 1–2 page resume
- The names and contact information of two references