How to Apply
To apply for the Academy of Civic Life, submit the online form linked above. You will need a Gmail account to submit the application. Applications are due March 23 at 11:59pm ET.
Creating a Gmail account:
- We strongly recommend creating a Gmail account that is appropriate for professional use and that clearly identifies your name, such as "firstname.lastname@example.org" or "email@example.com".
- Here are instructions for making a new Gmail account.
The application asks for the following information:
- Immunization record (you can get a scanned copy from the high school nurse's office)
- COVID-19 vaccine card (front and back)
- Professional reference (the name and email of a teacher, coach, supervisor, etc.)
- Essay 1: "Tell us about a background, identity, interest, or talent that you have that you think makes you an ideal candidate for the Academy of Civic Life." (Length requirement = 200–250 words)
Here are some questions to help you generate ideas: Has your background, identity, interest, or talent contributed to the person you are today? What experiences, perspectives, ideas, or skills will you bring to the Academy? How can the Academy help you to further develop skills or ideas?
- Essay 2: "Why are you applying to the Academy of Civic Life?" (Length requirement = 200–250 words)
Here are some questions to help you generate ideas: Are you interested in politics, political debate, citizenship, and community building? What are your post-high school goals and ambitions? How do you see yourself benefiting from your participating in the Academy? How do you think the Academy will impact your understanding of college? How will it prepare you for college life? What will the Academy of Civic Life help you to achieve?
- The application also asks for your contact information, the contact information for a parent/guardian and emergency contact, confirmation that you are willing to adhere to Stony Brook University vaccination requirements, and a brief explanation of up to three extracurricular activities.