Who Can Apply?
The summer Academy program is for rising high school seniors who are motivated to learn, grow, and make a positive difference in their communities. Students interested in history, government, and English will enjoy the topics covered in our program. We especially encourage applications from students who come from socioeconomically disenfranchised backgrounds, who identify with one or more underrepresented identities, or who are not sure if they can attend college. Our ideal candidates have creative thinking and teamwork skills, strong self-awareness, and the ability to respectfully listen to the opinions of others.
Students can apply during their junior year of high school. Our program is currently exclusively for Brentwood High School students.
We are looking for engaged and curious students.
We are looking for students who are engaged members of their communities. If you are curious about the world and how you can give back to the community, our program is a good fit for you!
Here are a few traits we are looking for in our ideal candidates:
- Interested in politics, history, English, and the humanities,
- Passionate about their communities,
- Eager to learn,
- Curious about college, even if they aren’t sure that they can or should attend college,
- Minimum GPA of 82.
We are looking for more than a GPA.
- Excellence in leadership
- Commitment to volunteerism and helping their communities
- Creative problem solvers who think outside of the box
Applications will be prioritized from
- First generation college students
- Financially disadvantaged students
- Students from historically disadvantaged groups
Stony Brook University Campus Residencies requires that all dorm residents are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including a booster if eligible.
How to apply
Visit our " How to apply" page for more information about applying to the Academy of Civic Life.