Who Can Apply?
The Academy of Civic Life is for rising high school seniors who are motivated to learn, grow, and make a positive difference in their communities. Students interested in history, government, and English will enjoy the topics covered in our program. Our ideal candidates have creative thinking and teamwork skills, strong self-awareness, and the ability to respectfully listen to the opinions of others. We especially encourage applications from students who come from socioeconomically disenfranchised backgrounds, who identify with one or more underrepresented identities, or who are not sure if they can attend college.
At this time, we are only accepting applications from Brentwood High School juniors. Visit our "How to apply" page for application instructions.
We are looking for engaged and curious students.
We are looking for students who are engaged members of their communities. If you are curious about the world and how you can give back to the community, our program is a good fit for you!
Here are a few traits we are looking for in our ideal candidates:
- Interested in politics, history, English, and the humanities,
- Passionate about helping their communities,
- Eager to learn,
- Curious about college, even if they aren’t sure that they can or should attend college,
- Minimum GPA of 82 encouraged (not a hard cut off)
We are looking for more than a GPA.
- Excellence in leadership
- Commitment to volunteerism and helping their communities
- Creative problem solvers who think outside of the box
Applications will be prioritized from
- First generation college students
- Financially disadvantaged students
- Students from historically disadvantaged groups
Stony Brook University Campus Residencies requires that all dorm residents are fully vaccinated for (1) COVID-19, including a booster if eligible, (2) MMR, and (3) Meningitis. The only possible vaccine exemption is for meningitis, in which case the student must submit a meningitis exemption form. No other vaccine exemptions are accepted—COVID and MMR vaccines are required for all participants. Applicants will be required to submit a copy of their vaccine records. Any accepted students who are missing required vaccines will need to provide proof of vaccination in order to secure their spot in our program.
How to apply
Visit our "How to apply" page for application instructions.