With prestigious rankings and international recognition that place us among the Top 1%* of higher education institutions worldwide, Stony Brook is invested in undergraduate education.
- Stony Brook is one of the most affordable top-ranked universities in the nation.
- Stony Brook has been named to Kiplinger's list of 35 Best Values in public colleges and universities.
- U.S. News & World Report has ranked SB among the top 100 universities and top 50 public universities.
Nearly 95% of our recent graduates are either employed or continuing their education.
Stony Brook’s affordable tuition means less future debt and real savings that can help you pay for your graduate studies or any number of life passages yet to come.
* Among the top 1 percent of higher education institutions in the world (QS World University Rankings).
Cost of Attendance
2018-2019 Estimated Yearly Cost for Full-Time Undergraduates*
|Direct Costs ** (Payable to SBU)|
|Tuition||6,870 (NY Residents)
25,390 (Out-of-state & International)
|Meal Plan ***||5,044|
|Indirect Costs (Estimated annual)|
|Transportation & Personal Expenses||1,868|
Our Time Option Payment Program allow families to pay in installments.
* All charges are subject to change without notice.
** Payable to the University. Health insurance is required of all full-time students; waivers are available to domestic students who already have health insurance. International students must enroll in the International Student Health Insurance Plan; estimated cost is approximately $1,300.
*** Costs may vary depending on meal plan, housing options, and other variables. Double dorm room and Silver Meal plan were used to calculate meal and housing plans. All undergraduates living on campus are required to enroll in a meal plan for their first two semesters.
**** Costs dependent on course schedule. Additional course fees may apply to offset the costs of chemicals, supplies, materials and maintenance associated with particular courses.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
- 77% receive financial aid; average amount: $13,300
- 72% receive U.S., NYS, or SBU grants; average amount: $9,700
- 35% receive Pell grants; average amount: $5,172
Bigger Affordability, Smaller Debt
In an era where stories about rising student debt and default rates appear daily in the media, Stony Brook students graduate with low debt, and have much smaller default rates compared to both national and New York State averages.