Global Certificate Program
2 week program
About the Program
This program is designed for international students to experience American culture, familiarize themselves with the American education system, and enhance their English language skills. Proof of English language proficiency is not required, however it is recommended that students have intermediate to advanced English language skills.
The Global Certificate Program is an in-person, residential program and students are required to live on campus.
Students who successfully complete all 2 weeks of the Global Certificate Program will receive a Stony Brook University Microcredential in American Culture, Traditions, and Trends through Credly, which provides verified digital credentials to boost your resume and online profile.
Participants will enhance their English language and presentation skills while learning about and experiencing American culture.
This course offers an overview of contemporary American society and events important to American history. Present-day issues and perspectives will be examined through readings, multimedia, and communicative activities. Participants will work individually and in groups to prepare and deliver presentations in English. Students will learn to organize their thoughts in order to effectively communicate their ideas to an audience.
Topics will include:
- Relationships and family dynamics
- Health and wellness in US culture
- Classes meet Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Two special lectures by distinguished faculty or administrators will be offered in addition to class hours and all students are required to attend.
- On Fridays and weekends, participants will attend optional field trips and events planned by GSI and will have free time to enjoy activities of their own choice.
Participants will attend weekly special lectures by distinguished faculty or administrators on a range of topics. Speakers will be announced in the spring.