B. S., Bates College, 2008
Ph.D., The Johns Hopkins University, 2014
Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University, 2014-2016
Faculty Member at Stony Brook since Fall 2016
The Henkes Lab Website
I’m interested in the stable isotope geochemistry of light elements (H, C, N, O, and S) and their use as recorders of the climatological, biogeochemical, and ecological evolution on Earth. My laboratory is devoted to making novel stable isotope measurements from samples collected along a wide range of temporal and spatial scales. Currently, our research is focused on:
- The temperature and isotopic evolution of seawater
- The evolution of carbon and nitrogen biogeochemistry in the ocean
- The climate and environment of East Africa during the Cenozoic
- Carbonate clumped isotope geochemistry as a tool for understanding diagenetic, metamorphic, and igneous processes
- Isotopes as trophic level indicators in marine and terrestrial food webs
If you are interested in joining our research group, please contact me directly. I am actively seeking talented and motivated undergraduates, graduate students, post-docs, and visitors to populate our new stable isotope laboratory. Stony Brook is host to an active, collegial, and multidisciplinary research environment. Outside the Department of Geosciences, I am affiliated with the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, the Interdepartmental Program in Anthropological Sciences, and the Turkana Basin Institute.
15. Shen, J., Pearson, A., Henkes, G.A., Zhang, Y., Chen, K., Li, D., Wankel, S.D., Finney, S.C., and Shen, Y., 2018. Improved efficiency of the biological pump as a trigger for the Late Ordovician glaciation. Nature Geosciences 11, 510-514.
14. Henkes, G.A., Passey, B.H., Grossman, E.L., Shenton, B.J., Yancey, T.E., and Pérez-Huerta, A., 2018. Temperature evolution and oxygen isotope composition of Phanerozoic oceans from clumped isotope thermometry. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 490, 40-50.
13. Shenton, B.J., Grossman, E.L., Passey, B.H., Henkes, G.A., Becker, T.P., Laya, J.C., Pérez-Huerta, A., Becker, S.P., and Lawson, M., 2015. Clumped isotope thermometry in deeply buried sedimentary carbonates: The effects of reordering and recrystallization. Geological Society of America Bulletin 127, 1036-1051.
12. Passey, B.H., Hu, H., Ji, H., Montanari, S., Li, S., Henkes, G.A., and Levin, N.E., 2014. Triple oxygen isotopes in biogenic and sedimentary carbonates. Geochimica et Cosmochimica 141, 1-25.
11. Henkes, G.A., Passey, B.H., Grossman, E.L., Shenton, B.J., Pérez-Huerta, A., and Yancey, T.E., 2014. Temperature limits for preservation of primary calcite clumped isotope paleotemperatures. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 139, 362-382.
10. Rick, T.C., and Henkes, G.A., 2014. Radiocarbon variability in Crassostrea virginica shells from the Chesapeake Bay. Radiocarbon 56, 305-311.
9. Able, K.W., Grothues, T.M., Turnure, J.T., Malone, M.A., and Henkes, G.A., 2013. Dynamics of residency and egress in selected estuarine fishes: Evidence from acoustic telemetry. Environmental Biology of Fishes 97, 91-102.
8. Henkes, G.A., Passey, B.H., Wanamaker, A.D., Jr., Grossman, E.L., Ambrose, W.G., Jr., and Carroll, M.L., 2013. Carbonate clumped isotope compositions of modern marine mollusk and brachiopod shells. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 106, 307-325.
7. Passey, B.H., and Henkes, G.A., 2012. Carbonate clumped isotope bond reordering and geospeedometry. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 351-352, 223-236.
6. Rick, T.C., Henkes, G.A., Lowery, D.L., Colman, S.M., and Culleton, B.J., 2012 Marine radiocarbon reservoir correction ( ΔR) for Chesapeake Bay and the Middle Atlantic Coast of North America. Quaternary Research 77, 205-210.
5. Rick, T.C, Lowery, D.L., Henkes, G.A., and Wah, J.S., 2011. A late Holocene radiocarbon chronology for the shells middens of Fishing Bay, Maryland. Archaeology of Eastern North America 39, 153-167.
4. Carroll, M.L., Ambrose, W.G., Jr., Levin, B.S., Locke, W.L., Henkes, G.A., Hop, H., and Renaud, P.E., 2011. Pan-Svalbard growth rate variability and environmental regulation in the Arctic bivalve Serripes groenlandicus. Journal of Marine Systems 88, 239-251.
3. Carroll, M.L., Ambrose, W.G., Jr., Levin, B.S., Ryan, S.K., Ratner, A.R., Henkes, G.A., and Greenacre, M.J., 2011. Climatic regulation of Clinocardium ciliatum (bivalvia) growth in the northwestern Barents Sea. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 302, 10-20
2. Marra, P.P., Dove, C.J., Bolbeer, R., Dahlan, N.F., Heacker, M., Whatton, J.F., Diggs, N.E., France, C., and Henkes, G.A., 2009. Migratory Canada geese cause crash of US Airways Flight 1549. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7, 297-301.
1. Carroll, M.L., Johnson, B.J., Henkes, G.A., McMahon, K.W., Voronkov, A., Ambrose, W.G., Jr., and Denisenko, S.G., 2009. Bivalves as indicators of environmental variation and potential anthropogenic impacts in the southern Barents Sea. Marine Pollution Bulletin 59, 193-206."