- Giving to Stony Brook
- Financial Services
- Resources to Support Account Directors & Staff
- SBF Requisitions for Scholarships, Prizes or Award Funds
- SBF Student Aid Recipient Spreadsheet
- New Account Application Process - Revised September 2021
- New Fund Agreement / Account Application for Gift Agreement - Revised September 2021
- New Memorandum of Use/Account Application Process Revised September 2021
- Credit Card Reconciliations Process Revised August 2021
- Travel to NC and MS
- About International Payees
- GIVE NOW ➞
Setting Up Your Account
A new Stony Brook Foundation Account can be created to support and promote Stony Brook activities and programs. These accounts are funded primarily from donor gifts and service revenues and may have specific usage restrictions depending on the source on the funds.
Key Steps for Success:
When setting up an account with the Stony Brook Foundation, Account Directors should partner as much as possible with their assigned Advancement Officer. Please refer to the “Contacts” section at the bottom of this webpage for a directory.
As a first step, please determine which account application to use.
- If there is a signed gift agreement which was executed between a donor, Stony Brook University and the Stony Brook Foundation, please use the Account Application for Gift Agreement or “short form” to open your account. As the gift agreement includes information about the intended purpose of the account and donor restrictions on the use of these funds, the abbreviated short form is applicable. Once completed and fully signed, please forward this “short form” account application with the Gift Agreement to the Stony Brook Foundation to start the account application process.
- Alternately, and in instances where there is a solicitation letter/fundraising proposal/ donor letter or other communication but no gift agreement accompanying the gift, please complete the Stony Brook Foundation Account Application or “long form.” Completion of the long form is necessary to provide information about the intended purpose of the account and donor restrictions on the use of these funds.
- A completed and signed Grant Proposal Processing Form is also needed to open an account for a grant. This form should be routed for signatures with the relevant Account Application (short or long form, see above) and all other related grant documentation (i.e. Award letter, grant agreement, etc.)
- For helpful instructions, please see the Instructions for SBF Account Application
- As noted on both the “short” and “long” account application, signatures of the relevant Department Chair, Dean, and Provost/area Vice President are needed to complete both forms and should be obtained before the form is forwarded to the Stony Brook Foundation.
- Please keep a copy of the signed form for your records before you submit it to the Stony Brook Foundation.
- Signatories of the Stony Brook Foundation accounts must be employees of Stony Brook University or of a corporation with Trust and Agency status. If the department signatory has not previously completed the Authorized Signatures Form they should do so and forward it to the Stony Brook Foundation Business Office.
After the fully completed and signed account application with all relevant supporting documents is submitted to the Stony Brook Foundation, an account number will be assigned by the Stony Brook Foundation and the Account Director will be notified.
Account Directors' Responsibilities:
- The Account Director is responsible for any and all deposits and disbursements with the Stony Brook Foundation.
- The Account Director is responsible for insuring that deposits and disbursements are consistent with the donor’s intent and are in compliance with the Foundations policies and procedures.
- The Account Director is not authorized to execute any legal document, contract, or agreement on behalf of the Stony Brook Foundation. Such documents require a Stony Brook Foundation officer's signature.
- The Account Director agrees to hold the Stony Brook Foundation harmless for all claims and actions in the event that deposits or disbursements are not in accordance with account guidelines and donor's intents.
- Monthly accounting statements are available in SBU Reporting to the Account Director and report recipient. The Stony Brook Foundation Business Office will send an e-mail after the fifth business day notifying all receipts that the reports are available.
- Documentation of all deposits and disbursements should be retained by the Account Director in order to reconcile the monthly accounting statements
- Stony Brook University Reporting is a data warehouse of financial data compiled from PeopleSoft. This information is copied from the PeopleSoft database from the previous day
- SBF monthly accounting reports are available in SBU reporting 5 business days after the close of the previous month
- For more information on SBU Reporting for Finance and how to get access, please click here.
Need help setting up your account? Please contact your assigned Advancement Officer.
Account set up question for the Foundation? Please contact a Stony Brook Foundation Accountant:
Cindy Tam Cindy.Tam@stonybrookfoundation.org (631) 632-3218
Kristin Perrichon Kristin.Perrichon@stonybrookfoundation.org (631) 632-6612