To remain in compliance with Federal Regulations, Stony Brook University must determine if a student maintained eligibility for Title IV Financial Aid. Financial Aid eligibility is determined based on a student’s attendance or participation in an academically related activity in the class.
- Beginning of Term Verification
- At the beginning of the term, instructors will be asked to indicate if a student enrolled in a course has not attended at all.
- Last Date of Attendance
- After final grades have been posted, for any students receiving a failing grade, instructors will be asked to enter if a student has not attended at all, completed the course, or has not attended since a specific date (the last date of attendance will need to be entered).
Instructors using Brightspace, can use the Class Progress tool as a resource:https://it.stonybrook.edu/help/kb/the-class-progress-tool-in-brightspace
Academically- related activities include:
- Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students
- Submitting an academic assignment
- Taking an exam, completing an interactive tutorial, or participating in computer-assisted instruction
- Attending a study group that is assigned by the school
- Participating in an online discussion about academic matters
- Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course