SUNY Cross Registration
The SUNY Cross Registration Agreement affords the opportunity to those students in
jeopardy of increasing their length of graduation due to lack of available courses
at their Home Campus. This agreement allows undergraduate matriculated students to
cross-register with another participating SUNY Campus to complete degree-applicable
courses with no additional tuition charges from the participating Host Campus. Students
are responsible to pay their tuition charges to their Home Campus only.
Registration through this agreement is recorded on the student’s academic record. The Host Campus uploads a final transcript, including all final grades, to the SUNY Cross Registration request at the completion of the semester. The student, by means of submitting a SUNY Cross Registration request, agrees to give Stony Brook University and the participating SUNY Campus permission to exchange personal and academic information for the purpose of completing such request.
The SUNY Cross Registration Agreement is available to matriculated undergraduate students during the spring, summer, and fall semesters only. If you wish to participate, you are responsible to demonstrate that the course(s) are not available at any Stony Brook campus, and a delay in registering for these course(s) will result in an increase of length in completing your undergraduate degree. The course(s) you are attempting to cross register must be degree-applicable towards your declared program. Courses not required for graduation requirements and/or prerequisites for courses required by your program will not be approved under this agreement. The following conditions also apply:
- be in a matriculated undergraduate degree-pursuant program
- be in good academic standing (cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher)
- not have any outstanding registration holds preventing registration
Your request may be denied for any one of the following reasons:
- course(s) are not degree-applicable
- course(s) can be completed at a later time (semester) without causing a delay for graduation
- courses are available at Stony Brook (including online)
- unable to enroll due to non-academic scheduling conflicts
- registration deadline has passed
- you have registered for course(s) in another campus prior to receiving approval
- you have a registration hold preventing enrollment
Course not covered under this agreement:
- study abroad
- graduate courses
- courses for which you have already earned credit with a minimum grade of C or higher
Stony Brook University Students
1) Consult with a transfer advisor or visit the Course Equivalencies page to confirm transferable courses.
2) Complete the Stony Brook Cross Registration Form.
3) Upload the completed Stony Brook Cross Registration Form to your online request here.
Failure to submit your request in its entirety, including uploading the required form, may result in a delay or denial of your request.
Courses for which you have registered for at another SUNY Campus prior to receiving official approval will not be covered under the SUNY Cross Registration Agreement. This may result in additional tuition charges/fees.
Registration through this agreement will be recorded on your Stony Brook transcript as a cross registration course indicating the location of the Host Campus, the appropriate number of credits attempted, and a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading basis. Final grades are submitted by the Host Campus and credits earned are translated as transfer credits on your Stony Brook transcript. These transfer credits also follow Stony Brook’s policy on transferring coursework as noted on the Undergraduate Bulletin. If you decide to withdraw after the add/drop deadline, a withdrawal “W” will be noted on your Stony Brook transcript.
Non-Stony Brook Students
If you are looking to enter into a cross registration agreement with Stony Brook University, you are responsible for fully understanding and abiding by all policies, procedures, regulations and deadlines set by Stony Brook University as well as your Home Campus.
1) Complete and upload the Stony Brook Cross Registration Agreement for Host Students Form to your online request here.
Pursuant to your Home Campus’ approval, enrollment in Stony Brook courses will be provided on a space-available basis, after matriculated Stony Brook University students have had an opportunity to enroll. If Stony Brook University approves your request, the Stony Brook’s Registrar’s Office will process your registration on the last business day before the start of classes. You will be required to contact the Stony Brook Registrar’s Office to complete any registration changes.
Courses for which you have registered for prior to receiving official approval will not be covered under the SUNY Cross Registration Agreement. This may result in additional tuition charges/fees.