Frequently Asked Questions
- NOTE: There may be instances when it will be necessary to add a Department/Center/Institute to the Credit Split, however the PI assumes responsibilities and should never add additional departments and remove their department for the purpose of circumventing campus approvals. Click the Add button → Type in the Department/Center/Institute into the box or click Select and select the Department/Center/Institute from the pop up box, scroll down and select OK.
- Attach your Abstract/SOW, Facilities Statement, and Budget Justification or a full copy of your proposal, as appropriate. For a clinical trial upload your Protocol, Informed Consent Form (ICF), Final Approved Budget and Facilities Statement. Note that for clinical trials, the ICF and Facilities Statement are not mandatory documents.
- Go to the front page of your Funding Proposal Select Credit Routing Information located to the right of History The page will list Current Pending Reviewers; these are the people that are currently approving the funding proposal. At the bottom of the page is All Reviewers; these are all the people who have previously approved, are pending approval, or who have yet to receive the funding proposal to approve. The column, Reviewer, lists all the people involved in reviewing this funding proposal. The column, Reviewing for Organization(s), lists the Department, School and/or Provost the reviewer is reviewing for. The column, Waiting On, tells you who that person is waiting on to approve the funding proposal before it comes to their stage. The column, Reviewer Result, will tell you the status of the person (example: waiting for approval, approved, etc). If the approver wrote any comments in when they approved, you will see them in the column Comments. If the reviewer attached any documents when they approved the funding proposal, they will be accessible from the column Attachments.
In myResearch Grants, the PI submits the funding proposal for routing. The next approval will be that of all Chairs/Deans. CoPIs will only receive a notification and will be able to review or comment on the submitted proposal.
Once the PI submits the funding proposal for routing, the status in myResearch Grants will show as Department Review regardless if it is at the Chair, Dean or Provost levels.
At any time during routing, the PI can press the Recall button for a revision and this will bring the funding proposal out of Departmental Review.
If you have a joint appointment or unique situation, it is your responsibility to make sure that the departments/centers/institutes listed on the Credit Distribution screen are correct.
- There is a training manual and video clips on how to submit and approve a proposal on ether the myResearch Grants web site, the Guidance webpage, or hands on training. To register for one of our upcoming trainings complete the form at this link.
- To log on to myResearch portal you will need to use your NetID and password. If you do not know your password it can be updated through the SOLAR system.
- If you are the lead approver for your department as well as the PI on the proposal, yes, you are able to approve the proposal.
To complete the credit distribution, click on ‘Credit Distribution’ on the left side menu of your Funding Proposal workspace in myResearch Grants.
All Senior and Key personnel added on the Funding Proposal appear on the Credit Distribution.
In the Proposal Credit column, assign Credit % that appropriately represents each person’s contribution to the project. The total of assigned Credit must equal 100%.
Next, assign the credit between the Department(s)/Center(s) displayed for each PI/co-PI/Senior Person/Key Person under both Financial Credit and Recognition Credit. A PI/co-PI/Senior Person/Key Person can have more than one Department they are assigned to receiving credit. Both columns when completed must total to 100% for each individual. NOTE: The Financial Credit for each PI/co-PI/Senior Person/Key Person can be different than their Recognition Credit but both must total 100% for the proposal. Even if 0% financial credit is desired for an individual, the Unit Total for that PI/co-PI/Senior Person/Key Person must still equal 100%.
There may be instances when it will be necessary to add a Department/Center/Institute to the Credit Split, however the PI assumes responsibilities and should never add additional departments and remove their department for the purpose of circumventing campus approvals.
Credit Distribution Definitions
Percentage credit that represents the distribution of each person’s overall responsibility for the successful performance of the project.
For each individual, this represents the percentage that each listed unit’s resources will be utilized for the project.
For each individual, this represents the percentage that each listed unit contributes intellectually/academically to the project.
Under General Information, Proposal Description & Contacts screen, see questions 3.0 & 4.0 Departmental Research Coordinator and Departmental Administrative Contact - Staff chosen for these questions will have edit access rights to the proposal. If the proposal is created by the PI, he/she can add a study coordinator or departmental administrator here. NOTE: Do not list OSP staff or Co-PIs.
7.0 Select team members that have EDIT rights - Select SBU users that can edit the proposal, budget, and SF424. These users can be co-PIs or other project personnel named in the proposal. They will not receive any email notifications from the Grants module. NOTE: You are NOT required to add anyone to this section. If you are filling this out for a PI (not yourself), fill out this section with your name before saving and/or moving to the next page.
8.0 Select team members that have READ only rights - Select SBU users that have view-only rights to the proposal, budget, and SF424. These users will not receive any email notifications from the Grants module. NOTE: You are NOT required to add anyone to this section.
Select Copy from the menu My Current Actions located on the left side of the screen. This allows you to make an exact copy of an existing proposal.
1. Type in the name of your new proposal
2. Click OK.
3. Once the proposal workspace refreshes, scroll down to the History tab and click the new funding proposal number (link).
4. The new proposal will appear as a Draft with many of the smart forms already completed.
NOTE: The SF424 application will NOT copy over and will need to be recreated.
- A proposals may be deleted, as long as they are still in draft status. Once they have entered the approval chain, only OSP can delete it.
- If you say "Yes" to one of the compliance questions and do not yet have a Log # and date, click the Pending box.
- The system accommodates any type of uploads, such as DOC, EXL, PDF.