Long Island History & Genealogy Collections
Special Collections and University Archives is committed to providing excellent educational and research opportunities to the Stony Brook University community, visiting scholars, and remote users. Please contact the department for assistance.
An extensive Long Island book collection (more than 2,000 volumes) and the map collection can be searched using the catalog of Stony Brook University Libraries. To refine your results, narrow the "location" to "Special Collections."
Digital Collections feature the department's manuscript materials and books, including letters authored by George Washington about the Culper Spy Ring.
FEATURED PRINT COLLECTIONS
Samuel Hopkins Miller Collection
A collection of original account books, diaries, ledgers, correspondence, and land deeds dating from 1705 to 1967 that document several generations of the Miller, Tuthill, and Tillotson families on Long Island, New York primarily in the areas of Miller Place and Rocky Point in the Town of Brookhaven. Andrew Miller (1634-1717) of East Hampton settled in “Miller’s Place,” later named “Miller Place” on Long Island in 1679.
Robert M. Emery Long Island Rail Road Collection
Detailed pencil drawings of Long Island Rail Road tracks and surrounding geographic areas (Kings, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk), with explanatory notes by Emery; over 5,000 identified photographs and postcards of construction, employees, trains, depots, and other scenes; 262 timetables; and other material relating to the railroad (ca. 1885-1974).
Long Island Land Deeds Collection
Collection of deeds (ca. 1759-1851). Surnames include: Wells, Downs, Swezey, Howell, Ferry, Corwin, Tuthill, Hallock, and Youngs.
Long Island Legal Documents Collection
Legal records, including bail pleas, licenses, notices of court appearances, court minutes, subpoenas, lists of jurors, and petitions, ca. 1784-1846. Surnames include Kissam, Nicolls, Roe, Sammis, Smith, Titus, Townsend, Van Wyck, Wickes, Willet, and Wyckoff.
Richard Welch Collection
Extensive photograph collection of colonial gravestones; manuscripts; journals; correspondence, and published works.
Brookhaven Land Deeds Collection
Land deeds and documents pertaining to Brookhaven, New York, ca. 1780-1929. Surnames include Helme, Rose, Hawkins, Myhr, and Mott.
DIGITIZED COLLECTION HIGHLIGHTS
Long Island Documents, featuring George Washington Letters: Special Collections acquired two exciting American Revolutionary War-era letters authored by George Washington that document spy activities in Setauket, NY during 1779 and 1780. The purchase of these letters was made possible with a generous gift from Dr. Henry and Marsha Laufer and laid the foundation for the establishment of a Long Island Historic Documents Collection. The collection includes primary and secondary source material on the history of Long Island from the earliest settlers through the present, with a strong emphasis on the period of the American Revolution through the War of 1812 (1764-1812). Visit the LibGuide for George Washington and the Culper Spy Ring for more information and resources about this topic
Digitized Long Island Book Collection: read a curated collection of the department's scarce books about Long Island.
Digitized Edition: Long Island Historical Journal: the print edition of this peer-reviewed, scholarly journal founded by Roger Wunderlich at Stony Brook University has been digitized and indexed. Search and freely access thirty-two issues (1988-2008) of substantive, original scholarship about the history of Long Island - Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk counties - set in a regional, national and global context. In 2009, the LIHJ was renamed the Long Island History Journal.
Stony Brook University Archives
Research the history, people, and traditions of Long Island's largest research university.
Access PDFs of the official yearbook of Stony Brook University from 1957-2006.
LONG ISLAND COLLECTIONS
- Adriance, J. Reynolds
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) - Smithtown Area Branch (NY)
- Bayard Cutting Arboretum Horticultural Society
- Bellport, John
- Brookhaven (Town: NY)
- Brookhaven Land Deeds and Documents
- Clarke, Peter McFerrin
- Cleveland, Moses
- Clinton, George
- Cook, Susan and Ronald
- Cooley, Arthur P.
- Daniels, Norton W., Jr.
- Demott, John W.
- Drewes, Fred
- Emery, Robert M.
- Englebright, Steven
- Environmental Defense Fund
- Flatau, Adelaide
- Fletcher, Mary T.
- Fuoco, Louis A., Jr.
- Gardiner, S.L.
- Gentile, Edith
- Giese, Ferdinand J.
- Giuffreda, Leon E.
- Gordon, Edith L.
- Greeley, Horace
- Greenport Driving Park Association (NY)
- Greenport Oyster Company (NY)
- Habicht, Ernest R., Jr.
- Harpur, Robert
- Hartley, Charles
- Hastings, Michael
- Herstory Writers Workshop
- Hochbrueckner, George J.
- Independent Order of Good Templars, New York (State) Samaritan Lodge, no. 782, Greenport (NY)
- Independent Order of Good Templars, New York (State) Sterling Lodge, no. 650, Greenport (NY)
- Indivisible: Doula Archive
- Jacobs, Helen Hull
- Jamaica, Queens County, New York Collection
- Jaray, Cornell
- Kane, Muriel and Julian
- L'Hommedieu, Ezra
- LaGumina, Salvatore
- Lawrence, Charles E.
- League of Women Voters
- League of Women Voters of Brookhaven South (NY)
- League of Women Voters of Nassau County (NY)
- League of Women Voters of North Brookhaven (NY)
- League of Women Voters of Riverhead/Southold (NY)
- League of Women Voters of Smithtown (NY)
- League of Women Voters of the Town of Oyster Bay (NY)
- Linton, Floyd S.
- Long Island Archives Conference
- Long Island Cookbook Collection
- Long Island Ephemera Collection (NY)
- Long Island Environmental Council (NY)
- Long Island Historic Postcard Collection
- Long Island Land Deeds
- Long Island Legal Documents
- Long Island National Organization for Women. Nassau Chapter (NY)
- Long Island Pride Parade, Inc. - Gay and Lesbian Community Collection
- Merrick and Jamaica Plank Road Company (NY)
- Mid-Suffolk National Organization for Women (Suffolk County, NY)
- Miller, Samuel Hopkins
- Moeller, Henry W. (HMS Culloden shipwreck, Montauk, NY: 1781)
- Mount Sinai Harbor Conservation League (NY)
- Murphy, Robert Cushman
- Nassau-Suffolk Regional Planning Board (NY)
- New York Civil Liberties Union. Suffolk County (NY) Chapter
- Parsons and Company (Queens, NY)
- Preservation Society of the East End (Suffolk County, NY)
- Rattiner, Daniel
- Richards, William C.
- Rogers, William H.
- Sailor, Vance Lewis
- Sauer, Claire
- Seyfried, Vincent F.
- Shannon, Harold J.
- Shope, Roger. Citizen's Advisory Committee of the Long Island Sound Study of the
- New England River Basins Commission
- Indenture, Slave Contract, Southampton, Long Island, New York, 1798
- Skidmore, William A. and David William
- Sleight, Anna C. Dering
- Smolker, Robert Eliot
- Soper, Oliver
- Southampton Fresh Air Home
- Southold: The Grange or Patrons of Husbandry
- Squires, Edward Lewis
- Steinberg, Mildred
- Suffolk County (NY). Legislature. Committees. Minutes
- Suffolk County (NY). Legislature. Committees. Resolutions
- Suffolk Inter-religious Coalition on Housing, Inc. (NY)
- Suffolk Scientists for Cleaner Power and a Safer Environment (NY)
- Tallmadge, Benjamin
- Townsend, Howard. memoir
- Townsend, Howard. memorial volume
- Turano, Frank
- Turner, Joyce Moore
- United Farm Workers Union controversy
- Van Liew, Barbara
- Verzyl, Kenneth H.
- Union Free School District No.5, Levittown, N.Y. Collection
- Washington, George, 1779
- Washington, George, 1780
- Webb, Samuel Blachley
- Welch, Richard F.
- Williamson, John M.
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. Central Suffolk Branch (NY)
- Woodhull, Nathaniel
- WUSB 90.1 FM: Abbie Kearse
- Wurster, Charles F.