Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot (New York)
- Absent from your county or, if a resident of New York City absent from said city, on Election Day.
- Unable to appear at the polls due to temporary or permanent illness or disability; or because you are a primary care giver of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled.
- A resident or patient of a Veterans Health Administration Hospital.
- Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony.
How to Obtain an Absentee Ballot
Option 1 (Preferred): Complete this Google Form to request an absentee ballot application.
- We are available in person, Monday to Friday from 9am to 4:30pm, when offices are open.
- Before completing the Google Form, please check your state's absentee ballot application deadline.
Option 2: Complete the New York State Absentee Ballot Application Form online. Once you have completed the application form online, print it, sign it, date it and deliver it to our team in the Stony Brook Union, Suite L-20 (Monday to Friday from 9am to 4:30pm, when offices are open). We will either mail it or deliver it in person to your local elections office for you.
Option 3: Complete the New York State Absentee Ballot Application through the electronic portal.
Option 4: You can also either mail it or deliver it in person to your local elections office yourself. Find out where your local elections office is located.
The application form must either be personally delivered to the county board of elections no later than day before the election, or be postmarked by a governmental postal service no later than the seventh day before the election.
How to Vote by Absentee Ballot
The absentee ballot must either be personally delivered to the county board of elections no later than the close of polls on the day of the election, or be postmarked by a governmental postal service no later than the day of the election and received no later than the seventh day after the election. You can also deliver it to an early voting poll site during the early voting period, or to a poll site on the day of the election.
To request additional information about absentee voting in New York or in other states, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit the New York State Board of Elections website.