Welcome, International Students!
Stony Brook University offers a world of possibilities, with more than 200 academic programs, exciting undergraduate research opportunities and an ideal location for learning on Long Island's North Shore — just 60 miles from New York City.
Why Choose Stony Brook?
- The Center for World University Rankings lists Stony Brook among the top 1% of higher education institutions in the world
- U.S. News & World Report ranks SBU among the top 100 universities and top 40 public universities in the nation
- 98% of tenured/tenure-track faculty hold doctoral degrees or the highest degrees in their fields
- You'll find first-rate opportunities for research at facilities such as Brookhaven National Laboratory
Did You Know?
- Stony Brook is a member of the prestigious, invitation-only Association of American Universities — along with Harvard, MIT, Princeton, and Yale, America’s top research universities
- Our award-winning faculty include the winners of Nobel Prizes, Pulitzer Prizes, MacArthur Fellowships, the Fields Medal in Mathematics, and Grammy Awards.
- C.N. Yang, Albert Einstein Professor Emeritus of the C.N. Yang Institute for Theoretical Physics, was Stony Brook’s first Nobel Prize winner.
- The MRI technology that won the Nobel Prize for Medicine was invented at Stony Brook.
Student Body Profile
- 1737 International Undergrads
- 109 Countries
- 90-96 High School GPA
- 81-91 TOEFL iBT
- 600-720 SAT scores: math
- 550-660 SAT scores: critical reading
- 26-31 ACT scores
- 2836 Full-time freshmen
- 16,831 Undergraduates
- 25,272 Total students
- 54:46% Males:Females