Stony Brook University is no longer accepting freshman applications for fall 2014. For more information, please contact your admissions counselor.
- Apply using the Common Application. It includes required member questions, an essay of at least 250 words, and an online Teacher/Counselor Evaluation. The fee is $50.
English Proficiency: An official score report for the TOEFL, SAT, or IELTS. Stony Brook's code is 2548. See requirements here.
- Freshman and Transfer Applicants: Official secondary school records.
- Transfer Applicants: Official transcripts for each post-secondary institution attended. See transfer credit policies here.
All academic credentials must have an official seal, stamp or signature of a school or government official, and be submitted in the original language (if not in English, it must be accompanied by an exactly worded and certified translation).
All items must be sent to:
Stony Brook University
UG Processing - INTL
Albany, NY 12204-2755
Include your name, date-of-birth, city and state on all materials sent to Stony Brook University. It is each applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application credentials are received.
- International applicants must document their ability to meet all educational and living expenses for the entire period of their intended study before Stony Brook University can issue a Certiﬁcate of Visa Eligibility (I-20). In early March, you will receive login instructions for accessVIS, Stony Brook's portal for visa and immigration services. In accessVIS, you must upload scanned copies of the following documents:
- Affidavit of Support Form
- Bank Letter or Statement for Each Source of Funds Dated after March 1, 2014 (submitted in English)
- Letters of Employment Verifying Income (for each sponsor, submitted in English)
- Copy of Passport
Fall applicants are strongly encouraged to submit all required documents by the end of April to avoid delays in visa processing.
Already studying in the US?
The following items will be required in accessVIS:
- F-1: photocopies of all Form I-20’s (pages 1 & 3 of SEVIS I-20’s; pages 3 & 4 pre-SEVIS I-20’s)
- J-1: a photocopy of DS-2019
- Photocopy of both sides of current Form I-94 (stapled in your passport upon arrival in the U.S.)
- Photocopy of U.S. visa page with picture photo