Mission & Values
Diversity, Intercultural and Community Engagement supports the mission of Stony Brook University by providing programs to maintain an all-inclusive campus community where diversity is valued and celebrated, and where a positive campus climate is promoted. The office helps to foster a campus environment that is welcoming, nurturing, and supportive for all members of the university. The office has administrative oversight of the UNITI Cultural Center and serves as a resource to the University community on diversity matters.
Our mission supports Stony Brook University's Statement of Community. We define community as an environment that creates a sense of belonging and purpose, incorporating the following six elements proposed by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching (Ernest Boyer, 1990): purposeful, open, just, disciplined, caring, and celebrative.
- Diversity at Stony Brook University is valued, desired, and integral to our success as an institution of higher education.
- Multicultural awareness, knowledge, and skills are essential to creating a just, open, and supportive campus climate where students have a strong sense of belonging.
- It is necessary to integrate multicultural educational theories into all areas of practice within the Diversity, Intercultural and Community Engagement.
- Multicultural learning is the pathway to leadership and ethical development, civic engagement, and social responsibility within a pluralistic and democratic society.
- Powerful connections, collaborations, and cooperation between all levels of the University are essential to creating a vibrant multicultural campus community that promotes student development, student success, and personal growth.
- Principles of good management, leadership, and motivation are critical in the development of competent and dedicated staff for helping to create a multicultural campus community.
- Fostering learning and promoting academic success
- Advocating for and coordinating outreach to support a diverse student body
- Creating opportunities for involvement and leadership
- Enhancing campus life and promoting a sense of community
- Promoting school spirit and campus pride
- Promoting cross-cultural competence