Application to the Graduate Program
For admission to PhD/MA program of the Department of Physics and Astronomy the following, in addition to the minimum Graduate School requirements, are required:
- A bachelor degree in physics or related field from an accredited institution;
- A minimum grade average of B in all undergraduate coursework, and B or better in the sciences and mathematics;
- For 2021 Admissions we will not be requiring either the general or Physics GRE.
All applications must be submitted online at app.applyyourself.com/?id=sunysb-gs . Only applications for which the transcripts and other supporting documentation (CV's, etc.) have been uploaded electronically will be considered and only electronically uploaded recommendation letters are acceptable. Once you are admitted we will request two paper copies of your official transcripts.
An application fee of $100 is required except in very special circurmstances. These circumstances and the procedure for requesting a waiver can be found here.
The following material should be included with your application:
- A statement of purpose, decribing interests and motivation to pursue a PhD or MA degree. Note that your statement will be read by physicists outside your own field, and the level should be such that anyone with a Bachelor degree in physics can understand it. One thing we try to distill from your statement is how excited you are about physics and your research. Please do not put in too many details because this can easily make it boring to someone who is not in the field. Also do not make it longer than one page, remember that we have to read hundreds of statements, and we really appreciate if a statement is concise, interesting and exciting. Please do not cut and paste your personal statement from Microsoft Word because this may become unreadable on Macs, which many of us use.
- Transcripts from all colleges and univeristies you attended as well as additional materials such as your CV, should be uploaded electronically.
- Three recommendation letters which should be submitted electronically. Please tell the faculty not to cut and paste from Microsoft Word.
- For 2021 admissons applicants will not be required to take the GRE General Test or the Physics GRE subject test.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must take the TOEFL test. Have the ETS send the TOEFL score to the graduate school (paper copies of you score will not be accepted. Please use the following code: Stony Brook University Institution Code: 2548. Please enter the TOEFL scores (and date, percentile, etc.) in the online application of ApplyYourself. These scores will be used in the admission decision. Your official scores may have been received but not yet entered in Applyyourself by the administrative staff: they typically suffer a backlog of several weeks at this time of year. Only if and when you are accepted and admitted, the official test scores will required and cross-checked.
- If English has been your most used language for many years, please fill out that English is your native or primary language. Otherwise you will have to do a TOEFL test. Having been in an English speaking country for a couple of years is not sufficient.
Applications will be evaluated in the order they come in, but admission decisions will only be made after the deadline of January 15.
All applications are evaluated centrally by the admissions committee. There is no need to contact individual faculty.
The deadline for application for Fall admission in 2021 is January 15, 2021.