Frequently Asked Commencement Questions
If you have questions regarding your academic status, please contact Registrar at 631.632.6175 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Answer: Please continue to check our Commencement website and Stony Brook University homepage for more information regarding a future Commencement ceremony. When safe to do so, our intention is to host an on campus event in the future.
Answer: A program, featuring all students who applied to graduate as of November 11, can be found on the Commencement website on December 18.
Answer: Stony Brook University will be hosting a virtual celebration on Friday, December 18. There will not be individual department convocations held in December.
Answer: Yes, the event will be available for viewing on our Commencement website. Please check back on December 18.
Don't miss an opportunity to be featured in our Commencement Ceremony! This will be a 60 second video clip which celebrates your achievement. Share it proudly on social media and with friends and family!
Using a digital platform created by StageClip, candidates will be able to record an on-camera message with their smartphones, tablets or laptops, as well as enhance their custom slide with a photo of th emselves and a personal message. For students in need of a cap and gown, StageClip has also created a Snapchat augmented reality lens that places them in their attire during their on-camera message.
- When choosing a virtual background in Zoom, please deselect “mirror my video” to ensure the text is displayed properly
- Use a background that is a solid color with minimal shadows and avoid any direct light sources in view behind you such as lightbulbs or sunlight in windows
- Position yourself at a distance so banner is readable
- Test the video and background before going live
Full instructions on using Zoom backgrounds can be found here
- Share your pictures with us on Instagram using the hashtag #SBUClassof2020
- Open the Instagram app and log in to your account. Visit the @stonybrooku profile and check out their effects feature. The effects feature is to the right of the Instagram live feature. Tap on the one you would like to use and tap to take a photo or tap and hold to take a video. When using the front or back-facing camera, the effect you choose will automatically appear on the closest person’s face. Video Tutorial on how to use the filters: Click here to view the video tutorial!
- To use the effect, put the camera in “selfie mode” and hold down record
- Starting 12/14, visitors can click on either of the two links to access the effect on Facebook and Instagram
- Make sure your Facebook and/or Instagram app is up to date. Instagram users can also visit @stonybrooku on Instagram, tap the smiley face above the grid to view existing effects
Create A Story
- Like Stony Brook University so you can easily find the effect
- Open the Facebook app on your mobile device and log in to your account
- Click on “Add to Story”
- Swipe right on “Create Story” and select Selfie
- Choose the happy face on the bottom right corner. The Effects Gallery should appear on the bottom of your screen.
- Swipe right to find the SBU effect: SBU Grad Celebration and Stony Brook Grad. * If you don’t “like” the Stony Brook University page, you will not be able to find the effect
Answer: Thornton Studios is able to reserve portrait sittings at this time. There will be no walk in appointments available, please be sure to make a reservation. Studio photography appointments will be held in the Wang Center, Room 102.
Wednesday, October 28
Thursday, October 29
Friday, October 30
Answer: Honors stoles will be mailed to all Class of 2020 Graduates (May and December) who graduated with an honors distinction. *Stoles will be mailed to your diploma address, please check your SOLAR account to ensure this address is correct.
Answer: Visit the alumni website for more information regarding the Stony Brook University Alumni Association. Click here to visit!
Answer: You can find the link to purchase the official class ring on the Alumni website. Click here to purchase your class ring today!
Answer: Honors distinctions are based on your CURRENT grade point average. The actual distinction awarded may be different as it is based on your FINAL grade point average. The actual honor will appear on your final transcript and diploma.