Ways to Give
There are many ways to give to the Chemistry Department, including outright gifts of cash, shares of stock, or a variety of planned gifts.
Gifts may be made by check, money order, or credit card. Checks and money orders should be made payable to the Chemistry Department/SBF. The Department also accepts MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover.
Matching Gifts. You may be able to increase the value of your gift if your company or employer has a matching gift program. If you are not sure if there is a matching gift program, please contact the CAS Office of Advancement at (631) 632-1457 or by e-mail and they can assist you..
Chemistry Department Fund for Excellence
The Chemistry Department Fund for Excellence provides essential discretionary financial support, giving the Chair the flexibility to respond to the Department’s greatest needs and to act quickly when opportunities arise, for example, to provide support fpr our research seminar program. These funds are among the University’s most valuable resources because they provide the Chair with the necessary support to respond to the Department’s most urgent unbudgeted needs and the ability to cultivate, sustain and further academic and research excellence on both the graduate and undergraduate levels.
Stony Brook Chemistry has a deep commitment to undergraduate education. Because approximately 25% of Stony Brook undergraduates are enrolled in a Chemistry course in any given semester, the Department seeks support to provide the best undergraduate educational experience for its students.
A gift of:
- $1,000 will provide funding to support undergraduate students through the Chemistry Scholarship Fund .
- $100 - $25,000 will help to grow the Endowment for Excellence in Organic Chemistry established by Prof Fowler to benefit and enhance the Department of Chemistry’s undergraduate teaching in organic chemistry. The L. J. Altman Undergraduate Teaching Fellow Award, which honors an exceptional student who has made important contributions to the Department’s educational program in organic chemistry, is awarded from this endowment (to contribute directly to the Altman fund, please select the Endowment for Excellence in Organic Chemistry link and enter "L. J. Altman" under “Tribute Information.”
- $30,000 will endow a named fellowship that will offer partial financial support to undergraduate teaching fellows.
For more information about supporting undergraduate education through the Chemistry Department, please contact Norma Reyes at 631-632-7885 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty and Graduate Research
As a tier-one research institution, Stony Brook Chemistry is known for its excellence in research, and the creation of knowledge and teaching. The Department seeks private support to maintain and strengthen the research activities of the Department’s faculty and graduate students and to recruit and retain the best faculty and graduate students.
A gift of:
- $1,000 will provide further funding to support innovative research projects, as well as for the purchase of research instrumentation through the Chemistry Alumni Fund .
- $5,000 – $25,000 will grow the Lauterbur Frontier Research Endowment Fund in Chemistry to support outstanding faculty or graduate students and promote frontier research for health, the environment, and energy through chemistry.
- $800,000 will endow a named graduate fellowship, which will offer full financial support for the education and research of one graduate student annually.
- $750,000 will endow a named faculty professorship for a promising faculty member.
- $1.5 million will endow a named faculty chair to recruit or retain a distinguished faculty member.
For more information about supporting faculty and graduate education through the Chemistry Department, please contact Norma Reyes at 631-632-7885 or via email at email@example.com