Skip Navigation

**Please note that all petitions require that the student meet with an academic advisor prior to submission**

1. Late Addition of Course(s) or Late Registration

Students must complete a CEAS petition form stating the reason(s) they were unable to register for the course/semester on time. Students must also attach a letter from each professor on his/her department stationery offering to admit the student to his/her course if the student’s petition is approved and indicating either that the student has been attending the course or will be able to make up the work required.

2. Petitioning to add a Research Class, TA or Internship (499, 475/476,488)

Student must complete a CEAS petition form and attach written permission from the instructor on departmental letterhead along with instructor’s section number and number of credits. Students must also be able to demonstrate that they can meet the required number of contact hours per credit.

3. Late Withdrawal from Course(s) or Semester

Student must complete a CEAS petition form stating his/her inability to withdraw by the proper deadline specified in the academic calendar and provide appropriate supporting documentation.

4. Overload (20-23 credits in Fall, Spring and 10-12 credits in Summer)

Students who have a cumulative g.p.a. of 3.0 or better and are not missing grades can overload automatically on SOLAR on the Friday immediately prior to the start of  fall or spring semesters. Note that a fee will be automatically assessed for overloading.

Students who have a cumulative g.p.a. of 2.5 - 2.99 and are looking to take more than 19 credits must complete a CEAS petition form stating the courses they are currently registered for, and the courses they are seeking permission to add to their schedule. Students must have completed at least one semester at Stony Brook University; have no outstanding incomplete grades; and be in good academic standing (i.e. not on academic notice/warning).

Students who have a cumulative g.p.a. below 2.5 are not permitted to overload under any circumstances.

5. Underload (less than 12 credits)

Students must complete a CEAS petition form stating why they are unable to maintain a full time (12 credits or more) course load and why this determination was unable to be made during the add/drop period. Supporting documentation is required, andd course difficulty is not a sufficient reason to request an underload.

A student may not petition for an underload in two consecutive semesters. Students who have chronic difficulties that make full-time study inappropriate should only register for 11 or fewer credits (part-time status) and work with the Student Accessibility Support Center. 

Underloads may also result in a loss of campus housing, financial aid and health benefits. Students should consult Campus Residences, the Office of Financial Aid as well as their health insurance provider before petitioning for an underload. In addition, students on F-1 or J-1 visas must obtain approval from the VIS Office prior to submitting an underload petition request.

6. Enroll in a Course for a Third (or more) Attempt

Students must submit a petition form and letter of support from the department’s Undergraduate Program Director. Note that approved requests such as these are typically held until a specified date before they may be processed.

7. Reinstatement after Academic Suspension

Students must complete a CEAS petition form giving convincing evidence that it is appropriate for the student to continue his/her studies at Stony Brook and that he/she will be able to graduate in a reasonable period of time. Petitions for reinstatement must be submitted by the date stated in their academic standing notification.

All approved petitions will place a student on conditional reinstatement for the requested term under strict conditions. The conditions of each student’s reinstatement are unique. Failure to abide by these conditions will subject the student to dismissal without appeal. The suspension and conditional reinstatement are noted on the student’s academic record.

For students who have been away from Stony Brook University for one or more semester following a suspension, they must complete a CEAS petition form giving convincing evidence that the conditions leading to suspension have changed, provide supporting documentation as well as any evidence that indicates he/she will be able to graduate in a reasonable period of time. Students are encouraged to contact the CEAS Undergraduate Student Office at the start of the semester prior to that in which they hope to be reinstated to discuss petition submission deadlines.

Students are required to meet with a CEAS advisor prior to submitting a reinstatement petition.

8. Waiver of Waiting Period After Withdrawal from all Classes

Students withdrawing from all their courses (withdrawing from the University) may do so in writing or in person at the Registrar’s Office. Students who withdraw from the University and whose cumulative grade point average is less than 2.00 and/or have withdrawn in a previous semester are required to wait for at least one semester before they are permitted to re-enroll.

Students who have a cumulative g.p.a. of less than 2.00 and wish to enroll in courses in the semester immediately after the one in which they withdrew must complete a CEAS petition form documenting the reasons why they should be permitted to register in that semester.