Skip Navigation

General Information on Professional Licensure

Stony Brook University offers the following professional degrees:

  • Bachelor of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering
  • Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical & Molecular Engineering
  • Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering
  • Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Engineering
  • Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering
  • Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Science
  • Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
  • Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering

Students completing one of these degrees may wish to seek professional licensing as part of their career development. Being a licensed engineer is required in some fields (particularly civil engineering), and is strongly recommended in most other engineering fields.

The licensing process in the United States differs slightly from state to state. In New York State, the process is as follows:

  1. Pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
  2. Complete a number of years of professional experience, typically working directly for or with other licensed Professional Engineers.
  3. Complete the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.

The CEAS Undergraduate Student Office works with current students and alumni to complete paperwork certifying their academic credentials needed in applying for engineering licensure. Please select one of the options on the side menu for additional details and instructions.

Visit the New York State Office of the Professions for more details.

If you have any questions, please contact CEAS.