Combined Degree Programs
SoMAS offers four combined degree programs. Click on the links for the program requirements.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Marine Science and Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences and Master of Science (M.S.) in Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Marine Vertebrate Biology and Master of Science (M.S.) in Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Environmental Studies and Master of Arts (M.A.) in Marine Conservation and Policy
Students will normally be considered for admission into the combined degree program after completing their junior year of undergraduate study-either before the start of their senior year or during their senior year. Students with exceptional records may be admitted during the junior year. Students who transfer to Stony Brook after their junior year must complete one semester at Stony Brook before they will be considered for admission to this combined degree program.
Any student considering this program should identify a potential MS advisor who has agreed to advise him or her, as part of the combined degree program is that he or she will begin doing graduate level research during the summer following their fourth year.).
This combined program is designed for outstanding students in the undergraduate ATM/ENS/MAR/MVB degree. The highly selective admissions requirements for students entering the combined degree program are as follows:
- Overall Stony Brook undergraduate GPA of at least 3.3
- A minimum GPA of 3.5 is required in courses required in the major and
- Letters of recommendation from two Stony Brook faculty members, including one who agrees to be student’s research advisor
For more information contact the undergraduate director and/or the graduate programs director.
Please visit the Marine Sciences M.S. Track page for more information about the requirements for the M.S. degree.
Please visit the Marine Conservation and Policy page for more information about the requirements for the M.A. degree.
Other Combined Degree Programs
The College of Business at Stony Brook University offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) Fast Track Program that qualifying students in ATM, ENS, MAR, MVB and SUS can apply for to earn their MBA in their fifth year at Stony Brook. For program information, requirements and additional information, please visit the College of Business.
* For the most up to date and official degree description and requirements see the undergraduate bulletin.
1. This checklist summarizes your major/minor degree requirements. Please consult the Undergraduate Bulletin that was in place when you declared your major/minor for the official list of major/minor requirements. For details, visit https://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/bulletin/current/archives.php
2. This checklist indicates ONLY what is required for your major or minor, and does not confirm completion of the University’s general education, upper-division, and total credit requirements. Please consult with the appropriate academic advising unit to review the remaining graduation requirements. For general advising locations, visit http://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/academichelp.shtml.