Special Collections and University Archives is committed to providing excellent educational and research opportunities to the Stony Brook University community, visiting scholars, and remote users. All are welcome to schedule an appointment to consult the collections.
I. Schedule an Appointment
Conducting research in Special Collections and University Archives is by appointment. Advance notice is required for scheduling and to retrieve collections.
- Contact director Kristen Nyitray to schedule an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org or 631.632.7119
- 10 boxes and/or 10 books can be retrieved per day.
- Access is provided in Special Collections' supervised reading room located on the second floor of the Frank Melville Jr. Memorial Library, room E-2320.
- Hours by Appointment: Monday to Friday between 10:30am and 4pm.
- Special Collections is located on level 2 of the Melville Library, room E-2320.
Please read the access guidelines prior to your appointment.
- Upon arrival, all researchers will be asked to present photo identification, to sign a guest register, and to complete a registration form.
- Personal items must be placed in lockers, including but not limited to: food, drinks, pens, coats, bags, laptop cases, and folders. Personal notes and notebooks must be placed in a department locker. Notepads can be provided by the department.
- Researchers may bring in the reading room: a laptop or tablet, a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera, and pencils.
- Pencils must be used for all note-taking. Researchers may bring their own pencils or the department can provide them.
- Disposal cotton or polyvinyl gloves may be needed to handle certain materials.The department can provide them.
- If needed, the department will provide cradles, weights, and supports for books, etc.
- Materials do not circulate; they must be consulted in the reading room.
- The use of the reading room is dedicated to researchers using materials housed in Special Collections and University Archives.
- Handheld scanners and tripods are prohibited.
- A quiet atmosphere is conducive to research and should be maintained at all times.
- Please silence cell phones. Calls may be made or taken in the front lobby or outside.
- Wireless internet access is available in the reading room for SBU faculty, staff, and students. More information about guest access is available here.
- Materials must be handled with great care.
- One book or one folder may be consulted at a time.
- While consulting an item, it must be kept flat upon the surface of the table.
- Materials must be kept in original order.
- Gloves, book weights, and cradles are available, if needed.
- Books, papers, or other objects may not be laid on top of the materials.
- Please do not turn a book or similar object upside down. We provide acid-free strips that serve as book marks and place holders.
Stony Brook University is situated on an 1,039 acre site on the north shore of Long Island in southeastern New York, approximately 60 miles east of New York City.