Financial Appeals Concerning Tuition Liability
Tuition Liability Appeals will not be accepted after the last day of classes for the term in which the appeal is being submitted.
- To appeal your tuition liability, complete the appeal form and submit to the Office of Student Accounts. Tuition Liability Appeal Form
- When a student has withdrawn through circumstances beyond the student's control, appeals will be reviewed provided the student has not completed more than one-half of the term and has not received or will not receive academic credit for the term.
- Non-attendance of classes will not cancel your registration, nor will it relieve you of your financial obligation, or entitle you to a refund. (In lieu of tuition liability, the University may assess an Administratively Cancelled Registration Fee for students who do not attend classes and fail to appropriately cancel their registration.)
- A student who is dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons prior to the end of an academic term shall be liable for tuition and fees due for the term according to the Tuition & Fee Refund Schedule.
- A student who is deregistered by the University prior to the end of an academic term because of failure to comply to Public Health Law 2165 (proof of MMR immunizations) shall be liable for tuition and fees due for the term according to the Tuition & Fee Refund Schedule.
Approved Academic Petitions will not result in removal or adjustments of tuition and fee charges. Students requesting a review of tuition and fee liability must submit a separate written appeal to the Student Accounts Office with all appropriate documentation. To be eligible for financial review ONLY the following criteria will be accepted.
- Full time attendance at another State University of New York campus (not community college)
- Military service
A student can appeal the refund policy if they will not receive any academic credit for any classes enrolled for that term. The student must submit a written request with the detailed documentation requesting removal of tuition and fee charges by the last day of classes for that term. Detailed documentation including copies of any approved academic petitions, must be submitted to the Student Financial Services Office, Suite 207 Stony Brook Union, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-3222. A campus designee will review the request and determine if an adjustment is due. No refunds will be considered for students who are registered or have completed more than one-half of the term.
Financial Aid Implications
Federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services to apply a formula established by the U.S. Department of Education to determine the amount of Federal financial aid a student has earned as of the date in which the students´ withdrawal is processed by Office of Records. The amount of Federal financial aid returned to federal aid programs is determined by the amount of time the student spent in academic attendance, but has no relationship to the institutional charges incurred by the student. After 60% of the semester has passed, the student has earned 100% of the Federal financial aid awarded to them.
Please consult with an advisor in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services before you officially change your enrollment status or withdraw from the University, as your financial aid may be impacted by any status changes.
Please see the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services website for more information.