COURSE-BASED TUTORING SERVICES
- APPOINTMENTS (ASTC)
One-on-one & Small Group Tutoring
with the Academic Success & Tutoring Center
A List of Courses that ARE supported by ASTC tutoring during FALL 2022 CAN BE FOUND HERE.
Overview: The ASTC provides undergraduate students with FREE one-on-one and small group tutoring appointments for various courses during the fall and spring semesters.
What: Peer tutoring appointments for a variety of undergraduate courses
When: Various times throughout the week. Please see the scheduling system, Navigate, for more information.
Opening Date: The schedule opens on Monday, August 29th at 9:30am. The first day of tutoring by appointment will be Tuesday, September 6th.
Where: In-person and online (subject to change)
Who: Stony Brook University students enrolled in the specific undergraduate course for which they are requesting tutoring
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: For the first week the schedule it open, students will only be able to see the first week of tutoring availability. During this time, students will be restricted to 1 appointment per course with a limit of 3 hours of course-based tutoring and 1 hour of skill-based tutoring per week.
We highly encourage you to meet with your tutor on a weekly basis. Here's how: In the appointment confirmation email, students will receive a link to a Google Form that needs to be completed to request that the one-time appointment be changed to a weekly appointment.
After the first week that the schedule is open, students will only be able to see up to 14 days in the future to look for open appointments.
Before using our tutoring services, please read our Student Agreement Form.
* If you are seeking help with general academic success skills (time management, study skills, test taking strategies, etc.), please visit our skill-based tutoring page.
* If you are seeking help in writing, schedule an appointment with a tutor at the Writing Center
- IN-PERSON, DROP-IN (ASTC & RTC)
Overview: The ASTC provides drop-in tutoring for several high demand courses
What: Drop-in tutoring for select courses
Fall 2022 Opening Date:Week of August 28th
Where: ASTC (Stony Brook Union, Suite L-08)
DAY TIME COURSE(S) TUTOR(S)
*No session on 11/21/22
4:00-6:00PM BIO 202
MONDAY 4:15-6:00PM CHE 152 Ding TUESDAY 10:00AM-12:00PM CHE 129, 131, 132 Jerica TUESDAY 3:00-5:00PM BIO 361 Prima WEDNESDAY 1:00-3:00PM BIO 361 Anna WEDNESDAY 3:30-5:30PM CHE 129, 131, 132 Xinyu THURSDAY
PHY 131, 132 Josh THURSDAY 3:15-5:15PM CHE 321, 332 Jenn FRIDAY 1:00-3:00PM PHY 121, 125, 126, 131, 132, 141 Chris
Who: Stony Brook University students enrolled in the specific undergraduate course for which they are requesting tutoring.
Some things to consider:
- With the drop-in format, students should expect that a tutor may be helping other students at the same time. If students have similar questions or are reviewing similar course concepts, the tutor may group students together.
- At times, the students may be expected to work individually while the tutor meets with other students. The tutor will check in periodically throughout the session, as time and the number of students attending allows.
- Tutors will assist students on a first-come/first-helped basis. During peak periods, students may need to wait for assistance. In addition, tutors may limit the length of time students can stay for drop-in in order to assist the maximum number of students possible.
Overview: The Residential Tutoring Centers (RTC) is a service offered by the Division of Campus Residences and the Academic Success and Tutoring Center to provide drop-in peer tutoring for select MAT, PHY, and CHE undergraduate courses.
What: Drop-in tutoring for select MAT, PHY, & CHE courses
When: Monday - Thursday from 8pm - 11pm
Mondays: AMS 161, AMS 261, CHE 131, CHE 132, MAT 123
Tuesdays: CHE 129, CHE 131, CHE 132, MAP 103
Wednesdays: AMS 151, AMS 161, MAT 125, MAT 126, MAT 127, MAT 131, MAT 132, MAT 200, PHY 131, PHY, 132
Thursdays: CHE 129, CHE 131, CHE 132
Fall 2022 Opening Date: Monday, September 12th
Monday & Wednesday: H Community Center in James Hall
Tuesdays & Thursday: Roth Center Room 103
Who: All undergraduate students are welcome to use the services, regardless of residential status.
For more details and a list of courses supports by RTC drop-in tutoring, please click here.
- ONLINE, DROP-IN (STAR-NY)
Overview: This program provides free online tutoring for a variety of subject areas through a consortium of SUNY colleges and universities that have joined together to share resources and expertise to better meet student needs for online tutoring.
What: Online tutoring for the following content areas:
- Math: Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Pre-calculus, Calc I, and Intro to Statistics (upper division courses are not supported)
- Chemistry: Introductory Level General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry
- Biology: Introductory Level and Anatomy & Physiology
- Physics: Introductory Level
- Psychology: Introductory Level
- Economics: Introductory Level, Macro, and Micro
- Computer Science: Introductory Level
- Nursing: Introductory Level
- Nursing Math: Drug Measures; Med Labels/Syringe Calibrations; and Dosage, IV, and Pediatric Calculations
- Accounting: Any Course Below the 400 Level
When: Sunday - Thursday from 7pm - Midnight (last login is 11:30pm)
Summer/Start of Fall 2022: Math and Writing only, Sunday May 15th - Thursday, September 1st
Fall 2022 Opening Date (More courses supported): Sunday, September 4th.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
Depending on the night and subject, your tutor may be from Stony Brook University or one of the other 20+ participating SUNY campuses.
* Please be advised that Stony Brook students and alumni are encouraged to visit the campus Writing Center (Humanities 2009) which offers free personalized writing tutoring both online and in-person. Campus tutors are trained in writing instruction and work directly with faculty across the campus to better serve students at Stony Brook. For more information or to schedule appointments, please visit http://www.stonybrook.edu/writingcenter/.