Peer Tutor (Course-Based Tutoring) - Spring 2023
Tutors help peers to succeed academically. They conduct tutoring sessions to clarify course content and provide study strategies. They are selected on the basis of academic skill, character, and the ability to communicate well with others.
- Must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at Stony Brook University
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Must have attained a B+ or better in the course at Stony Brook
- Must be in good standing: No judicial or academic dishonesty charges
- Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills and a desire to assist fellow students
- Must provide a brief recommendation from the course instructor for each course that the student wishes to tutor
Approximate # of Hours: Varies; Students can expect to commit about 6-7 hours/week to this position, including required weekly training.
Starting Pay Rate: $15.50/hour with pay increases available based on earned training certification level(s).
Start Date: We are no longer accepting applications for the spring 2023 semester. Any applications received will be held for consideration for fall 2023.
Application Deadline: Applications accepting on a rolling basis. Your application will not be considered until you have at least one faculty recommendation on file.
How to Apply: See our "Become a Tutor" page for application details
Graduate Student Assistant: This is not a tutoring position.
Our graduate student assistants work closely with our 130+ undergraduate student staff to provide training, support, supervision, and guidance. They help to create, enhance, and coordinate all of our services. Graduate student assistants work on several projects at once and assist with various ASTC initiatives. They also manage the center in the absence of professional staff.
This would be a great experience for anyone interested in education (all levels), student support services, human resource management, supervision, and program management.
- Facilitate and manage multiple ASTC initiatives aimed at supporting undergraduate academic success
- Support our undergraduate student staff through relationship building, goal setting, and supervision activities
- Conduct interactive training sessions and workshops
- Co-manage a community building/wellness program to foster a sense of belonging among our student staff
- Actively participate in recruiting, interviewing, selecting, training, and evaluating undergraduate student staff
- Manage the center in the absence of professional staff, making on-the-spot decisions as needed
- Represent the ASTC at various campus events
- Utilize a high-traffic email account, online scheduling system, and shared files/drives
- Provide high quality customer service
- Enjoy an upbeat, ever-changing, creative environment focused on supporting undergraduate students’ academic success
Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate program at Stony Brook University. Ideal candidates for this position are organized, adaptable, resourceful, and creative; have excellent verbal and written communication skills; demonstrate effective public speaking skills; can work independently and as a team member; and have strong decision-making skills. Candidates must be flexible, team-oriented, and passionate about student success.
Hours: Approximately 20 hours/week. Work hours will fall within the following hours: M – F 9am – 6:30pm. Each graduate employee is expected to hold at least one evening shift Monday-Thursday ending at 6:30pm.
This is an in-person position located on West Campus.
Pay Rate: $18.25/hour
Tuition remission, health insurance, retirement benefits, and housing are not available for hourly student assistant positions.
Start Date: Week of January 9, 2023
Position Length: We are looking for someone who can commit to working with the ASTC for multiple semesters. (Contingent on positive performance reviews and departmental funding)
*The earliest graduation date that will be considered is December 2023.
Number of Current Openings: 1
To Apply:Complete this short application(You will need to upload your resume to this Google form.)
Deadline: Monday, December 12th