Postdocs at Stony Brook have access to free and discounted memberships in several organizations by virtue of their affiliation here. To enroll, see the individual instructions for each opportunity below.
Stony Brook University is a sustaining member institution of the the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) , which provides our graduate students, postdocs, faculty and staff with free affiliate memberships. Click here to visit the site and use this link to sign up with your institutional address.
As an NPA Affiliate Member, you are entitled to these benefits:
- Subscription to NPA e-alerts, a periodic news announcement, and The POSTDOCket, the NPA’s official quarterly newsletter
- Reduced registration fees to the NPA Annual Meeting & eligibility for the NPA travel award program
- Access to members-only NPA web content , such as career planning resources and policy information
- Access to NPA member groups to connect & network with fellow NPA members
- Discounts to some services and products.
- Opportunities to serve and contribute your expertise on a variety of NPA committees
- National representation on postdoctoral issues
Located in New York City, the New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS) offers in-person and online workshops and classes on (mostly STEM) career and professional development topics. Click here to visit the site.
Many of your professional, field-specific societies have special membership rates, advisory committees and leadership opportunities, and career resources for postdocs. They are also a great way to expand your network and learn about other types of jobs for individuals with your training.