Mr. Ralph Watkins Memorial Scholarship
Submit your application online
Please note, that you must be signed in to access form
Submit your completed application by Friday, February 2, 2024 by 5 PM. Award annoucement will be made during Black History Month Open Mic - Spoken Word Competition hosted by Black World on Februrary 22, 2024 at 7 PM within the SAC.
About the scholarship
The Ralph Watkins Memorial Scholarship was established in 2006 in memory and honor of the former Director of Special Projects at Stony Brook University in the late 1970s which included the supervision of EOP/AIM, Upward Bound, and Disabled Student Services. Once serving as a Tuskegee Airman in WWII, he became a zealous supporter of social justice, and served as the Chairman of Suffolk County Human Rights Commission. The Ralph Watkins Memorial Scholarship was established for underrepresented students who are admissible under regular criteria but due to financial constraints may be unable to complete their education.
- Be a Full-time Stony Brook student in current academic year
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Demonstration of financial need
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and community involvement
- Demonstrate potential and promise
How to apply
You may submit your application online. When submitting your application, please include the following:
- Your Resume
- Your personal statement
- Two letters of Recommendation. The first reference must be from a Stony Brook University faculty or staff member. The second reference may be from a Stony Brook University faculty or staff member OR from a professional reference from outside the University community who can attest to your leadership qualities, community involvement and outreach (i.e. a former employer, clergy, etc.).