David Zhi-Zhou He, Creighton University
Alfonso Apicella, University of Texas San Antonio
Daniel Wesson, University of Florida
Natalia De Marco Garcia, Weill Cornell Medical College
Florin Albeanu, Cold Spring Harbor Lab
Stephanie Palmer, University of Chicago
Cengiz Pahlevan, Harvard University
Yongsoo Kim, Penn State University
Udai Pandey, University of Pittsburgh, Med Ctr
Giacomo Indiveri, University of Zurich and
ETH Zurich Switzerland
Milutin Stanacevic, SB Dept of Computer & Electrical Engineer
November 30 (BRITE)
Piere Rodriguez Aliage, Stanford University
December 7 (BRITE)
Emily A. Aery Jones, Stanford University
December 14 (BRITE)
Jacqueline Giovanniello, UCLA
News & Announcements
12/15/2023 - Tianshu Li's Dissertation Defense is scheduled for Friday, December 15, 2023 at 11:00 a.m. Life Sciences Bldg - Room 038. This seminar is titled, "Neural Mechanisms for Strategy-dependent Decision-making in the Prefrontal Cortex.” Giancarlo LaCamera is the advisor.
12/13/2023 - Jeffrey M Malgady's Dissertation Defense is scheduled for Wednesday, December 13, 2023 at 1:15 p.m. Laufer Center - Lecture Hall 101. The seminar is titied, "Adaptations in Cholinergic Signaling in a SAPAP3 Null Mouse Model of Compulsive Motor Behaviors." Joshua Plotkin is the advisor.
FACULTY OPENINGS 2023-2024: Please see the links below for application instructions:
FACULTY OPENINGS 2022-2023:
- (CLOSED) One opening is in the area of Computational Neuroscience / NeuroAI at the Assistant or Associate professor level. See here for the application link and details! Deadline Dec 15. Welcome our new faculty member Dr. Siwei Wang!
- (CLOSED) A SUNY Empire Innovation Program tenured/tenure-track (open rank) position, with candidates studying movement, movement disorders and neurodegeneration relying on animal models and optical approaches especially encouraged to apply! Details and application link here. Deadline Dec 9.
10/15/2023 - Applications for our Fall 2023 BRITE (Bolstering Research through Inclusion, Talent and Excellence) Postdoctoral Seminar Series are now closed. Congratulations to our selected speakers:
- November 30, Pierre Rodriguez Aliaga, Stanford University
- December 7, Emily A. Aery Jones, Stanford University
- December 14, Jacqueline Grovanniello, UCLA
9/22/2023 - Group photo of the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior at our recent retreat at the Old Field Club! Thanks to all our speakers and presenters, and our keynote speaker Dr. Jamie Maguire
09/22/2023 - On Sep 22nd at Old Field Club, NY, is the 2023 Retreat of the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior. Keynote Speaker: Dr. Jamie Maguire from Tufts University School of Medicine. Explore Circuit Dysfunction and Biased Information Routing in Mood Disorders.
09/20/2023 - Liam Lang's Dissertation Defense is on Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 12:15 p.m. Laufer Center, Lecture Hall 101. The seminar is titled "Metastable Cortical Dynamics During Taste-Based Decision-Making.” Alfredo Fontanini is the advisor.
09/07/2023 - Alan Guo's Dissertation Defense is on Thursday at 2:00 p.m. The event will be held in Room 038 of the Life Sciences Building. The seminar is titled "Extracellular Factors Acting on Localized Intrinsic Determinants Promote Dendrite Development During Embryonic Brain Development.” Maya Shelly is the advisor.
07/03/2023 - Our guest speaker for the 2023 Departmental Retreat will be Dr. Jamie Maguire – Professor, Tufts University, School of Medicine
07/03/2023 - The Thomas Hartman awards have been decided for 2023. CONGRATULATIONS to our 2023 Award Recipients: Dr. Joshua Plotkin, Dr. Markus Riessland (Co-Pi’s Dr. Joshua Plotkin, Dr. Lonnie Wollmuth), Dr. Mary Kritzer (CoPi Dr. Daniel Davis), Dr. Irene Solomon
(CLOSED) 2023 Hartman Applications: APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. A call for proposals has been issued. The deadline is May 29, 2023. If you have any questions, please contact Catherine Costanzo (email@example.com).
09/22/2023 - SAVE THE DATE! Department of Neurobiology Retreat at the Old Field Club.
04/28/2023 - Maurice Kernan was awarded the SUNY Chancellor Award for Excellence in Teaching.
04/10/2023 - Our annual Mind Brain Lecture series welcomes professor Emery N. Brown, M.D., Ph.D. from MIT to speak on "Deciphering the Dynamics of the Unconscious Brain Under General Anesthesia."
03/13/2023 - 03/19/2023 - Brain Awareness Week has returned! This year, we will be visiting a variety of libraries and organizations to educate children, teenagers, and adults on essential neuroscience hot topics. Come check us out at the following locations from March 13th 2023 - March 19th 2023.
- Sachem Public Library: 3/13 @6pm on Emotions/mental health & hygiene (Teen Program)
- Emma S. Clark Memorial Library: 3/14 @2pm on Neurobiology of Sleep (Adult Program)
- The Smithtown Library: 3/14 @5pm on Movement (Children 8-12)
- Middle Country Public Library: 3/16 @7:30pm on Memory & emotions (Adult)
- Garden Farmer's Market at Daisy Gardens: 3/18 @10-2pm Table with Demonstrations (Open to all!)
- Explorium at Port Jefferson: 3/19 @1-4PM Table with Demonstrations (Open to all!)
11/15/2022 - Applications for our Fall 2022 BRITE (Bolstering Research through Inclusion,
Talent and Excellence) Postdoctoral Seminar Series are now closed. Congratulations
to our selected speakers:
- November 10, Angelica Torres-Berrio, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
- November 17, Lindsay Sailer, Cornell University
- December 8, Rose Creed, UC San Francisco
10/07/2022 - It's time for our Hartman Symposium for Parkinson's research! Check out the latest research! We feature Keynote Speaker Dr. David Sulzer from Columbia University. You can download the flyer here.
9/20/2022 - We are excited to invite you to the Parkinson's Research Symposium on October 7th featuring Keynote Speaker Dr. David Sulzer from Columbia University. You can download the flyer here and register for the meeting here: bit.ly/hartmancenters
9/16/2022 - Group photo of the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior at our recent retreat at the Old Field Club! Thanks to all our speakers and presenters, and our keynote speaker and former NBB faculty Dr. Joe Fetcho!