SBU DEPARTMENTAL AND INDIVIDUAL VEHICLE OPERATOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Departments are responsible for ensuring that the SBU employees and/or assigned vehicle/equipment operators are properly licensed and qualified according to the type of vehicle/equipment they are operating. The SBU Department is also required to maintain all such related documentation as required for operations.
- The Department of Mobility & Parking Services is responsible for issuing vehicle/equipment and employee fuel access, managing the SBU Fuel Station on SBU West Campus.
- Stony Brook University Departments are responsible for managing their assigned vehicle/equipment and ensuring that employee’s fill out the SBU Fuel Access form and return it to the Automotive Repair Facility, funding accounts and vehicles/equipment at all times. SBU Departments are also required to ensure that their assigned personnel have signed for and are complying with the SBU Fuel Station Requirements and Instructions at all times.
- Stony Brook University Departments are responsible for the timely delivery of vehicle/equipment to the SBU Automotive Repair Facility for Preventative Maintenance Inspections and New York State Inspections. The SBU Automotive Repair Facility is located on the West Campus of Stony Brook University, next to Campus Operations & Maintenance on Circle Road and its hours of operation are Monday through Fridays from 7am-3:30pm.
- Stony Brook University Departments are responsible for monitoring vehicle/equipment usage, condition, cleanliness and signs of abuse.
- SBU Department vehicles/equipment have properly maintained fluid levels, tire pressure and fuel quantity in order to remain in working condition.
- SBU Departments will make sure they inform the Automotive Repair Facility when employees no longer need fuel access (I.E. no longer need access, retire or switch departments).
- All vehicles/equipment brought to the SBU Automotive Repair Facility must have at least 1/2 of a tank of fuel.
- SBU Departments are also required to report anything unusual about the operation of their vehicles/equipment to the SBU Automotive Repair Facility.
- The Stony Brook University vehicle/equipment operator is responsible for reporting any accidents, safety issues and/or damages to their assigned vehicle/equipment to University Police, the SBU Automotive Repair Facility and their respective Department immediately.
- All Stony Brook University vehicle/equipment purchases, registering (for license plates), repairs and/or modifications must be coordinated through the SBU Automotive Repair Facility.
- Stony Brook University Departments are required to designate a "vehicle/equipment coordinator" for each vehicle/equipment they operate. The vehicle/equipment coordinator is selected by each SBU Department and should be a Stony Brook University employee who is familiar with the Departments' vehicle/equipment needs.
- Stony Brook University departments are required to ensure that their vehicles/equipment are properly assigned to personnel and funding accounts at all times.
SURPLUS OR TRANSFERRING A VEHICLE: Should an SBU Department desire to submit any updates pertaining to this information, they are required to complete an SBU Fleet Information Change Form.
Additionally, SBU departments who desire to surplus or transfer vehicles/equipment from their fleet are required to complete a SBU Department Surplus Vehicle Form to email@example.com, faxing (631) 632-4615 or delivering the form in person to the Automotive Repair Facility.