Conditions and Constraints For Multilinguial Practices
- What are the discursive/conversational strategies for enhanced intercultural communication?
- What are the best theories and practices in translation and interpretation?
- What significance does the spread of English have for the use and development of Asian languages?
- What are the challenges facing the maintenance of Asian heritage languages in the U.S. and globally?
Development of Multilingual Repertoires
- How does bilingual/multilingual repertoire evolve over time, across generations and geographies, across languages and lives?
- How do language competences interact in cognitive and social space?
- What are the variables that shape the dynamic, evolving linguistic landscape in multilingual households and communities?
- What are the variables that contribute to the acquisition, learning, socialization, maintenance, or attrition of multilingual repertories?
Multimodal Discourse and Multilingual Repertoires
How are speech communities and ethnolinguistic groups presented and perceived in digital age?
What are the consequences of multimodal (text, image, voice, sound) communication for expressing culture and re-presenting the self?
How do bilingual/multilingual speakers apply their linguistic repertoires in different technological contexts, from face-to-face communication to digital media?
Multimodal Identities and Multilingual Repertoires
How do speakers manage self-projections and other-perceptions in the context of bilingual/multilingual practices?
How do multilingual competences serve as resources for construction and expression of multicultural, global identities?
What is the relationship between language choice, language use, and the construction of not only ethnic identity but other aspects of multivalent identities?