Environmental Health and Safety Management System
Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) has created an EH&S Management System to provide resources, integrate procedures and training, and enhances an awareness that promotes environmental stewardship in all facets of the University's mission. Elements of the EHSMS can be found throughout our website including:
Planning: Planning is conducted by standing committees and with individual organizational units.
- Identify the needs of the departments and campus organizations to achieve compliance and the goals of University Policy P609.
- Recognize legal and other requirements so that laws and regulations are known.
- Establish objectives and targets for improvement.
Implementation/Operation: Develop the structure and responsibility for deploying the system throughout the organization.
- EH&S Policies and Procedures
- Departmental Standard Operating Procedures
- Hazard Analysis and Evaluations
- Training Awareness and Evaluations
- EHSMS Documentation and Control
- Emergency Planning and Response
Checking/Corrective Action: This involves an ongoing evaluation of the system, including legal compliance. It includes:
- Monitoring and Measurement
- Inspections and Audits
- Tracking Conformances, Corrective and Preventive Action
- Management Review
- Continuous Improvement
EH&S uses a number of databases to document and track Regulatory/Audit Requirements, Radiation Protection Services, Fire (OFPC) Inspections, EH&S Inspections and Fume Hood Inspections. Access to some of the databases has been made available on-line for individuals who have responsibility to act on specific requirements.
If you have any questions, please call our main office:
110 Suffolk Hall
Stony Brook, NY 11794-6200
Tel: (631) 632-6410
Fax: (631) 632-9683